Respected Contributor

Re: What is the longest period of time between going to the hair salon?

I love to go to the beauty shop. I live in a small town and my friend owns the shop. And the girl (she is like a daughter) that does my hair is the best.

I have an angled bob and it will lose its shape in about 6 weeks. The longest is 8 weeks but sometimes that is a trim in the middle. I have my roots done and highlights every 8 weeks.

I love to have manicures and pedicures but the cost is a lot less because of being in a small town.

Valued Contributor

@feline groovyI also have had some great cuts at Great Clips..$14. now & I give her $20..not bad for every 4-6 weeks or so..have never had a pedicure & never will..could not stand anyone doing anything to my feet..just the thought 😝

Valued Contributor

I went almost two years.  My hairstylist was out of unavailable for that time and I couldn't decide what to do. It was great since I got to grow my hair out esp the bangs which I hated. 

My SO talked me into Great Clips - first time was ok, just trimming ends. Second time - two weeks ago - was a disaster. Different stylist - asked for longer layers like photo/Dianne Keaton and came out looking like Professor Snape from Harry Potter

Ended up at an Aveeno Salon for a recut 5 days later. Very small NC town and was only $34 for wash, cut and blow dry. But now I'm into the blow drying and "products" until it gets longer. 

Honored Contributor

I've gone a year without a cut a couple of times in my life but I prefer to go about every 6 months just to shape it up.  

Put me in the low maintenance category.    I do have friends who probably go to some salon almost weekly for color,, cut, nails etc.   I no longer have the patience for that kind of time investment.   

Honored Contributor

Didn't even want to answer until I saw other replies.  Twice a year is all I go.  I don't like sitting in the chair and making small talk at the hairdressers. 

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

Lol DesertDi... I thought I was the only one who hates the salon results and avoids them!  I have very difficult wavy hair and even if I like a cut, they can never remember or repeat it.  After I got 2 surprise super short cuts, I lost trust and started cutting it myself.  I like it ok now and never have bad surprises-  Its been over a year since I was at a salon, and I'm happy.  Oh and the prices here are crazy too...$ 50 for a cut + tip.

Also I was getting hilghts every few months to mask some gray but now it's totally damaged and dry as hay.  My colorist never mentioned it would damage my hair.  Letting it be. 

@Skyegirl21     And..............I've probably bought at least 3 cars with the money I've saved!     (My mother went to the hairdresser every week of her life......and I once calculated what she spent.)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Evie2004

Great to hear that!

I especially love their coupons for a $5.99, $6.99, or $7.99 cut... a total of $10 or less (with a 20% tip) for quality work.

Since my hair is wavy, I always get it trimmed or cut dry (maybe a tiny spritz of water on the ends), then I'm all done.

I wash, condition, air-dry, and style it at home, so I don't want to pay for anything I can do myself.

Never had a pedi either, although the foot and leg massage seems nice, LOL.

I do my own mani's and pedi's, then just buff my nails.

As for hair color, I DIY but it would be nice to be able to afford a reasonably-priced salon on a regular basis.

Then just touch up the roots myself in-between.

Honored Contributor

I have short hair. My hair is poker straight and very fine.Since I have bangs I really need to get it cut often or it just looks unruly.

The longest I ever went without a haircut was after my first husband died and I couldn't afford haircuts. I couldn't afford much of anything then - anyway I went about 3 years without a cut - my hair was down to where I could sit on it - & it was an unholy mess. Finally , one day my Mom begged me to get it cut. I had it cut to shoulder length and donated the hair they cut off. 

Honored Contributor

I get my hair trimmed every three weeks.  That is the only way I can have "wash and wear" hair.  No blow drying, no curling irons, etc.  

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Didn't even want to answer until I saw other replies.  Twice a year is all I go.  I don't like sitting in the chair and making small talk at the hairdressers. 

@AuntG  I agree!   Do not like it when the hair stylist asks personal questions...or dumb ones like asking if I am going on vacation BLA BLA BLA, just shut up and cut my hair.  I am not paying them to chatter on and on.