Valued Contributor

Re: What is the longest period of time between going to the hair salon?

I am one that cuts my own hair. I have naturally wavy/curly hair that stylists I've tried always cut it way too short. The prices are too high as well. I sometimes use a RoboCut, or do by hand. I have to keep checking it for mistakes for a couple days, but overall my hair has looked the way I wanted it & only once in a salon I ever was happy with it leaving. 

Honored Contributor

What is Robocut?

Valued Contributor

I can't imagine trying to cut my own  hair!   I'm not talented!  Every five weeks to color and roots.  My stylist adds hi or low lights as needed.  Hair is expensive in our area; I love my stylist and still have a career so willing to pay.  Have pedi every three weeks and nails every other week.  I enjoy being pampered!  Maintenance on this old lady costs!

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@wilma

I've been going to 'Great Clips' for cuts/trims for years, and have been very pleased.

If you wish, you can try different GC locations and hairdressers in your area.

Once you get a fave or two, get their business card and have them note their usual work schedule on it.

Very budget-friendly (my #1 concern) and easygoing place, and if you go to their website and register, you'll periodically receive awesome coupons in the mail from them.

Nothing else, plus they don't sell your address to anyone.

Why not give 'em a shot with just a small trim for the first time?

@feline groovy Thanks for the positive review. A small trim is what I was thinking for my first visit. 

Honored Contributor

My hair is straight, fine but thick.  I keeep it in a medium bob.  I just started going to a new stylist this year and so far I've been to her twice...I love the way she cuts my hair! She's made it a little bit shorter and the shape is great.

I go every 6-7 weeks if I let it go longer it will look fine (the hair) but start to get too flat and drag my face down.

Esteemed Contributor

I used to color my own hair but went for a haircut probably 4 times a year. I would get so stressed because I didn't always get layers that I liked. I kept trying different salons until I found the girl I have been going to for 3 years.

If I say cut off an inch...she cuts off an inch and my layers are always just the way I like them. I even let her color me, and again, she did such a nice job. She does highights and low lights on me and I get so many compliments.It looks natural and keeps the grey in my temples covered.

Like the other poster said....if she ever leaves...I will cry!

Valued Contributor

Generally, mine gets cut every 5-6 weeks, and highlighted every other appointment. My cut can stand to miss a week or two. The highlights are needed more than the cut, and thanks to much improved root sprays, I can easily do a home color remedy in the event of an emergency. If and when I have to adjust my hair budget, I would happily get a cheaper cut at the mall or beauty school; paying for my colorist's talents is something I can't see ever sacrificing, though.