Honored Contributor

Re: What is the longest period of time between going to the hair salon?

My hair is very thick and grows super fast.   I wear it short and must have a haircut every 5-6 weeks or it's out of control. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I go every 6 weeks; every 4 weeks adds up cost wise and every 8 weeks is too long as my roots are then very obvious.

Honored Contributor

My last cut was really short so I will probably go back in 12 weeks.  i like to let it grow from the really short cut to a not so short cut.  I do wear my hair in layers and it is short.  I did wear it with longer layers but it is too much upkeep and you have to go back in 4 or 5 weeks.  I don't have time to keep going to the salon.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I guess I'm a high maintenance lady.  Every 3 weeks I get my roots done, every 6 weeks I get my haircut, then every 2 weeks it's a manicure and pedicure.  I tip more in a month than the monthly rent on our first apartment.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lol DesertDi... I thought I was the only one who hates the salon results and avoids them!  I have very difficult wavy hair and even if I like a cut, they can never remember or repeat it.  After I got 2 surprise super short cuts, I lost trust and started cutting it myself.  I like it ok now and never have bad surprises-  Its been over a year since I was at a salon, and I'm happy.  Oh and the prices here are crazy too...$ 50 for a cut + tip.

Also I was getting hilghts every few months to mask some gray but now it's totally damaged and dry as hay.  My colorist never mentioned it would damage my hair.  Letting it be. 

Trusted Contributor

@wilma wrote:

I have gone about a year without going to the salon. That was when my stylist retired, and I was afraid of what someone else might do to my hair. I need to get trims more often, but between the cost and being busy I just don't go very often. I would like to try one of those chain places to save money but I am scared I will get a bad cut there. 

Hi @wilma,

Some of the worst haircuts that I've had were from more high-end salons, and some of the best that I've had were from the chain salons. You just never know I guess, is how I would put it, until you try a place out and see for yourself. Smiley Happy

We go to a chain salon and we're happy with where we go.

I go like once a year on average now to get my hair cut, since I've been growing my hair out from a really very short cut that was pretty much a very short razor cut, and the layers are still growing out. I'm just basically getting the bottom cut and evened out, since the top layers are still growing out. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

I guess I'm a high maintenance lady.  Every 3 weeks I get my roots done, every 6 weeks I get my haircut, then every 2 weeks it's a manicure and pedicure.  I tip more in a month than the monthly rent on our first apartment.

@lulu2, too funny. We often compare the rent of our first apartment to items today. Of course, it isn't totally fair because our first apartment was what they then called married student housing at UCLA, so it was dirt cheap -- a whopping $80 a month.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@wilma

I've been going to 'Great Clips' for cuts/trims for years, and have been very pleased.

If you wish, you can try different GC locations and hairdressers in your area.

Once you get a fave or two, get their business card and have them note their usual work schedule on it.

Very budget-friendly (my #1 concern) and easygoing place, and if you go to their website and register, you'll periodically receive awesome coupons in the mail from them.

Nothing else, plus they don't sell your address to anyone.

Why not give 'em a shot with just a small trim for the first time?

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@lulu2  Wow! You must be their best favorite customer and get the royal treatment Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I color my own hair and I also trim it myself so it's been about a year or more since I've been to a salon.