Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is the best body butter?

@blueroses47 wrote:

I'm 73 and I have extremely dry skin.  I buy lots of body creams, and end up not using them because, for some reason, I really dislike putting creams on, expecially if they leave any kind of residue whatsoever.

This past year I have developed problems with itchy skin and I now feel I am forced to use these products, like it or not.  There are several that I can tolerate better than others, but the best for me is First Aid Ultra Repair Cream.  It is almost a pleasure to use, and leaves no greasiness, seems to really moisture, a moisture that lasts.

That one is my favorite.

I can't stand any sticky feeling from lotions and body butters.  I started only using creams on damp to wet skin.  No more feeling of residue.  I don't know if that would help you, but it made a huge difference for me.

Honored Contributor

The word "butter" going on my skin is an instant NO. No matter how dry my skin gets (we're talking on my body), there are either drugstore favorites like Cerve (in the tub) or Kiehl's Creme de Corps (the famous yellow lotion) or my Beekman's body cream....None of these have the consistency of a butter. 

In the worst of conditions, I can add a dry oil to my creams/lotions. The trick to fixing dry skin is using the product every day...twice a day if needed. Eventually, the skin accepts the moisture. 

Think about your body the same as your face. There needs to be some amount of exfoliation to allow the creams and lotions to absorb. I like to use a dry brush technique before a shower or a loofa in the bath. As with your face, products cannot penetrate well through a layer of dead skin cells. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

Body butters are somewhat occlusive and contain less water in them like creams have. So using a butter would be like using a protective 'sealant' to give the skin a moisture barrier unlike that of a cream. Butters contain significantly more oil-based ingredients than creams or lotions which usually contain a good deal of water. Butters are the heavy-lifters when it comes to giving the skin barrier a boost. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee , Your speaking of the pure butters, like jojoba,avocado, am i understanding this correctly? Not what like the body shop sells ,and many others that call their products body butters?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

JOSIE MARAN

Honored Contributor

Formulas all about the same,read the label.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

I know @SilleeMee . I just don't like the feel of them on my body and waiting them to absorb (if ever) enough to get dressed. That's why I use an oil to "seal". Just like on my face, it seems to absorb faster and not leave a residue.

Thanks always for your info here. If I haven't wished this for you yet...Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Formulas all about the same,read the label.

@Group 5 minus 1   There are different ingredients. When I see a list as long as my arm and they all seem "chemical", I'm skeptical.

Honored Contributor

After my shower this morning ,i used the jojoba butter i bought all over my body, to see how it does.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I have resolved to not buy one more body moisturizer until I've used up the stockpile...which could likely be a good year from now or better.  My only exception will be my Tweak'd auto ships that include the all-purpose cream or a scented lotion that goes with my cologne.  Going forward, my plan is to buy good, basic, non-fancy products like AmLactin, Alpha Skincare, CeraVe or Cetaphil if/when I need them.