Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,858
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

What exactly is Glycolic cleanser supposed to do?

I'm getting confused on the effects of glycolic acid.  I always thought it was supposed to dry out pores.  But now I'm reading some say it helps with lines, and makes skin soft and vibrant.  I read some reviews on PTR Glycolic cleanser and the serum that it helped with lines and shrinks pores.  On SSC many said not drying at all.  So basically my question is...is it for lines, clogged pores?   What if I don't have oily skin??   Will it dry my skin out??   I wanted to buy a Glycolic cleanser just for a couple of times a week to get a good cleansing for pores.  Will this do the job?

 Also, can anyone give their preference on which is better...PTR or SSC?   Elizabeth Grant has some glycolic cleansers too.   I really appreciate your help here...THANKS!!!!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 14,592
Registered: ‎10-03-2011

Re: What exactly is Glycolic cleanser supposed to do?


@Dazlin wrote:

I'm getting confused on the effects of glycolic acid.  I always thought it was supposed to dry out pores.  But now I'm reading some say it helps with lines, and makes skin soft and vibrant.  I read some reviews on PTR Glycolic cleanser and the serum that it helped with lines and shrinks pores.  On SSC many said not drying at all.  So basically my question is...is it for lines, clogged pores?   What if I don't have oily skin??   Will it dry my skin out??   I wanted to buy a Glycolic cleanser just for a couple of times a week to get a good cleansing for pores.  Will this do the job?

 Also, can anyone give their preference on which is better...PTR or SSC?   Elizabeth Grant has some glycolic cleansers too.   I really appreciate your help here...THANKS!!!!


@Dazlin  Glycolic Acid aids in exfoliation, lifting the dead skin cells from the surface of your face.  When that happens, new skin is brought to the surface.  The theory is that with the regularly shedding of that dead skin and revealing new, eventully the lines will lessen.  Doing some glycolic cleansing a couple of times a week is as good as doing nothing at all.  Plus, cleansing alone isn't going to make much difference because the percentage of AHA/Glycolic Acid in a cleanser us usually low and a  cleanser is only on your skin for a minute and then rinsed off.  It's the AHA/Glycolic treatment products that will make a difference in your lines and clogged pores, but you have to commit to using them regularly.  If you're just starting, every other night would be fine, but the goal would be nightly.  You don't have to spend a lot of money on products either.  The Alpha Hydrox line is basic and very effective and they've been in business at least since the early 70's, if not longer.  They were into AHA skincare before anyone else that I've ever heard of.

Regular Contributor
Posts: 207
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: What exactly is Glycolic cleanser supposed to do?

This cleanser is what got Mrs. Sylvester Stallone started in her skincare business, Serious Skin Care.  She has used it for over 20 years.  That about does it for me!!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 14,592
Registered: ‎10-03-2011

Re: What exactly is Glycolic cleanser supposed to do?


@vandyfan wrote:

This cleanser is what got Mrs. Sylvester Stallone started in her skincare business, Serious Skin Care.  She has used it for over 20 years.  That about does it for me!!


You can be sure that she's using a heck of a lot more than just that cleanser.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,177
Registered: ‎07-04-2014

Re: What exactly is Glycolic cleanser supposed to do?

Dazlin Darling, you can't be given more comprehensive yet succinct advice than that given you by Jean Louis .  Her recommendation coincides with Beautypedia reviews.  If you object to alpha hydrox, Peter Thomas Roth 10% glycolic moisturizer gets four stars as well.

 

I began with SSC glycolic cleanser soon after Jennifer Stallone did.  Throughout the years it has served as a stand-by when other products I thought more advanced failed to live up to their hype.  Up until recently I've used it because it takes off your makeup and doesn't burn your eyes.  What a pitiful excuse for spending $50.00 on a piddling amount of cleanser !  There are many superior choices ( and I still like Jennifer and CeCe , the developer and founder's daughter for whom the line was created,  and i still watch occasionally)

 

 Of note, SSG glycolic line was designed to "cure " or correct acne. The US government stopped SSC from making claims about acneic skin and you won't hear them mention acne in association with the glycolic cleanser anymore.  Somehow Proactive has gotten away with doing exactly the same thing with similar ingredients.  

 

The search for the perfect cleanser has been fun, the search goes on ........

Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,938
Registered: ‎12-29-2010

Re: What exactly is Glycolic cleanser supposed to do?


@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@vandyfan wrote:

This cleanser is what got Mrs. Sylvester Stallone started in her skincare business, Serious Skin Care.  She has used it for over 20 years.  That about does it for me!!


You can be sure that she's using a heck of a lot more than just that cleanser.


 

LOL

 

ITA Jean!!!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,570
Registered: ‎06-13-2012

Re: What exactly is Glycolic cleanser supposed to do?

I was under the impression that glycolic acid in cleansers is kind of a waste since you don't leave it on your face long enough for the acid to really do anything? Acids need a bit of time to work and all that I've read said that the few seconds you have it on while washing your face is not enough time for it to do its' thing before you are washing it off down the drain.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,141
Registered: ‎03-27-2010

Re: What exactly is Glycolic cleanser supposed to do?

[ Edited ]

Just an FYI for a really nice inexpensive glycolic acid cleanser sold at CVS and Ulta-(*N_ip) & Fab (BB won't let me post the brand name?)  Glycolic Fix. Runs around $8.00.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,858
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

Re: What exactly is Glycolic cleanser supposed to do?

Thank- you!!