Valued Contributor

What ever happened to white nail pencils?

I'm probably dating myself but they used to sell white pencils that you moistened and then ran over the backs of your natural nail tips. I guess they are gone as I don't see them for sale any more. What are you using instead on the backs of your nail tips so they look whiter?

Honored Contributor

Re: What ever happened to white nail pencils?

I'm 54 but I'm not familiar with such a product. I can't even figure out what it is. I often go with my natural nails and I've never needed anything to whiten the back of my nails. They are white enough all by themselves.

Contributor

I have purchased them at Walgreens and Sephora; they were very inexpensive. Nice to run under your nails for a quick, clean look.

Respected Contributor

Ulta website has them...a Sally Hansen product. $3.99!

Super Contributor

Walgreen's has them--hanging on the wall with all the other Revlon implements.

Super Contributor

On 7/15/2014 chrystaltree said:

I'm 54 but I'm not familiar with such a product. I can't even figure out what it is. I often go with my natural nails and I've never needed anything to whiten the back of my nails. They are white enough all by themselves.

Are you aware of how you sound? Just wondering.

Many people who wear a lot of nail polish end up with yellowing in their natural nails.

Honored Contributor

I see them at drugstores all the time. I don't use them because they wash off.

Instead I use base coats to prevent staining and yellowing from polish (Nailtiques treatments have never yellowed my nails), whitening toothpaste if they do yellow from a polish, and optical brighteners to make them look whiter when they're not.

Some optical brighteners to try are Dior Nail Glow (high end), Perfect Formula Pink Gel Coat (high end), ACI Yellow Stopper Top Coat (budget - Sally Beauty). While Yellow Stopper is sold as a top coat to prevent nail color from changing in the sunlight, it also has a UV optical brightener that makes the whites of your nails look whiter, like white under a black light. I use it on it's own or under a sheer color for a healthy looking natural manicure. The Dior and Perfect Formula polishes do the same, but they have a pink tint and can be used on their own or under a colored polish.

Perfect Formula Pink Gel Coat makes a great base coat. Yellow Stopper did not work for me as a base coat, so I used it over any of my base coats. I would guess Dior needs a base coat, as well, as it's not designed to function as a base coat.

Valued Contributor

I'm glad they are still around. I didn't see them on drugstore.com or ulta.com or in the local drugstores in Manhattan. Maybe I used the wrong search terms online. I will try some clear basecoat over the pencil on the back of the tips to keep the pencil on. Thanks!

Super Contributor

On 7/15/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

I see them at drugstores all the time. I don't use them because they wash off.

Instead I use base coats to prevent staining and yellowing from polish (Nailtiques treatments have never yellowed my nails), whitening toothpaste if they do yellow from a polish, and optical brighteners to make them look whiter when they're not.

Some optical brighteners to try are Dior Nail Glow (high end), Perfect Formula Pink Gel Coat (high end), ACI Yellow Stopper Top Coat (budget - Sally Beauty). While Yellow Stopper is sold as a top coat to prevent nail color from changing in the sunlight, it also has a UV optical brightener that makes the whites of your nails look whiter, like white under a black light. I use it on it's own or under a sheer color for a healthy looking natural manicure. The Dior and Perfect Formula polishes do the same, but they have a pink tint and can be used on their own or under a colored polish.

Perfect Formula Pink Gel Coat makes a great base coat. Yellow Stopper did not work for me as a base coat, so I used it over any of my base coats. I would guess Dior needs a base coat, as well, as it's not designed to function as a base coat.

A pencil is a lot faster when you want a quick fix.

Super Contributor

They still make them, I believe Sally Hansen makes them, I saw them. I am trying to remember if the last time I saw them was at CVS, or Target. I was shopping for nail supplies at both places recently, so I'm not sure where I was when I saw them... But check both of those locations for the pencils.

Also if you have yellowing from nail polish, Sally Beauty sells a product called Bubble White, it is a soak for your nails and it removes stains. My MIL uses this all the time.

Also the last time I was at Sallys I bought something called ASP Whitening Nail Paste and it comes with a little scrub brush. I bought it for my toes, because after I wear red or dark polish on my toes and I remove the polish my nails are discolored. If I scrub my nails with the paste and rinse it off, it removes the staining. If they are very discolored I leave the paste on longer. This allows me to wear a clear polish for a natural look on my toes if I want to.