Respected Contributor

Re: What drugstore shampoo and conditioner do you find the best for normal hair?

@Squirrel Lover   I use Whole Blends by by Garnier, but I may have to check out all these Suave options.  I have also used Aveeda shampure, and agree it is not so great.  A friend gifts me aveeda products.  I know it’s expensive, and to me it’s drying.  Although one time she gave me two conditioners, and I thought I had one shampoo and one conditioner.  

Not certain if whole blends is for normal, but I like it because I get professionally colored every 6-7 weeks.  It keeps my hair soft and manageable.  

Honored Contributor

Re: What drugstore shampoo and conditioner do you find the best for normal hair?

[ Edited ]

@Squirrel Lover 

I switched to a sulfate-free product some time ago (Alba Botanica) but, before I did, I was using using Suave's Almond and Shea Butter shampoo and conditioner with no complaints.

It's formulated for dry, damaged hair but I never found that it left my hair flat or greasy.  A dependable product at an affordable price.

Suave offers an impressive variety of formulas and the nice thing about the product is that you can try it and, if you don't like it, you haven't invested $50 or $100.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

I always keep a bottle of this in my shower, because it smells so nice & doesn't dry my hair out since I shampoo every day:

Amazon.com : Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Moisturizing Shampoo 1.7 Ounce  (Travel Size) : Hair Shampoos : Beauty & Personal Care

Esteemed Contributor

Tresemme.  My former hairdresser from Wisconsin recommended it and wow!  I use the Smooth and Silky.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

I have been using Tweaked by Nature in Tulipia and, unfortunately, it is very drying and leaves my curly hair frizzy.I wanted to love this. The original has too much oil for my hair and leaves it flat. Just to use it up I am mixing it with my favorite Nexxus Therapee and Humectress.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a drugstore/grocery store shampoo and conditioner for normal hair? I exercise every morning and need to wash my hair every day. I am looking for something with sulfates, which is the only thing that really cleans hair in my opinion. Over the last decade, I bought Ojon then Tweaked by Nature, and even Aveda Shampure shampoo and conditioner (talk about drying-straw? that's moist compared to what Aveda made my hair feel) while always having my trustee Nexxus Therapee and Humecress nearby. I have been using it since 1986!

What do use that is affordable?

@Squirrel Lover   If I'm wearing my hair curly for awhile and needs the extra hydration, my go to is anything in the Shea Moisture line. It's also good for straight fine hair. 

Most drugstore shampoos/conditioners now state whether sulfate free, silicone free and that's what I look for to keep my hair hydrated. The silicones coat the hair, build up and keep the hair from retaining moisture. 

I used to open caps and take a whiff of fragrancs...even under my mask. If too strong, it competes with my perfume choices...the main reason (besides price) that I gave up on Aveda. I do make an exception for Moracanoil products. Love the fragrance, deep conditioners, mouuse and curl cream. I think the way my hair feels with these outweigh their price tag. I alternate them with drugstore choices. 

Honored Contributor

There are different formulas of this so you'd have to buy carefully (and of course in your hair color).  LOVE this John Frieda color deepening shampoo and conditioner.  I used to get it at WM but they only sale the brunette with light reflecting properties.  That's not the one I want.  Now I buy it on Amazon. The conditioner makes my hair literally feel like it has melted.  It's that soft.  On days I don't use the John Frieda conditioner, I use this from 

Moroccanoil

Moroccanoil - Weightless Hydrating Mask 8.5 oz/ 250 mL

Respected Contributor

I have used Pantene for years. The Moisture formula or the Smooth/Sleek formula, both shampoo and conditioners. My hair salon always says my hair is in great shape. Sometimes I might try others but always go back to Pantene.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover ...............The best I have used is Garnier products.  I use the conditioner & the leave in conditioner for curly hair daily.  I use Shiny Silver Shampoo daily because I have white hair.   When I want to style my hair occasionally I do use their shampoo for curly hair.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think people think too hard and spend too much on shampoo and conditioner... people OVER WASH  their hair period for one thing ....leading  to dry scalp and dry hair

.  Any shampoo will wash your scalp... and any conditioner is only as good as how long you leave it on. People use way more shampoo than they need to and just waste it....rinse out conditioner after one minute.... worthless...

I have never found a shampoo or conditioner that is expensive any better than a cheap store brand.

It is like tooth paste... another   area of consumer spending that is so complicated and with too many choices... when it does not have to be complicated at all. That is a WHOE OTHER SUBJECT 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Squirrel Lover     I own this shampoo and it is excellent.  Target sells Acure products so they may sell it online or in the store.  Check out Acure.com and read about the various shampoos but I love the way my hair feels after using this shampoo

JUICE CLEANSE SUPERGREENS & ADAPTOGENS SHAMPOO

kindness is strength