Trusted Contributor

What drugstore shampoo and conditioner do you find the best for normal hair?

I have been using Tweaked by Nature in Tulipia and, unfortunately, it is very drying and leaves my curly hair frizzy.I wanted to love this. The original has too much oil for my hair and leaves it flat. Just to use it up I am mixing it with my favorite Nexxus Therapee and Humectress.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a drugstore/grocery store shampoo and conditioner for normal hair? I exercise every morning and need to wash my hair every day. I am looking for something with sulfates, which is the only thing that really cleans hair in my opinion. Over the last decade, I bought Ojon then Tweaked by Nature, and even Aveda Shampure shampoo and conditioner (talk about drying-straw? that's moist compared to what Aveda made my hair feel) while always having my trustee Nexxus Therapee and Humecress nearby. I have been using it since 1986!

What do use that is affordable?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What drugstore shampoo and conditioner do you find the best for normal hair?

@Squirrel Lover  Pantene 5 in 1 shampoo and conditioner. I love this product and have used Pantene for years. I am 77 and have curly shoulder length hair. I have it colored by a professional.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

Re: What drugstore shampoo and conditioner do you find the best for normal hair?

I've been using the one in the green bottle for 50 years.

Does a great job.

Respected Contributor

I've used many, many shampoos over the years.  Even the expensive salon shampoos but I always go back to Suave.  I color/highlight my hair so I get that one with Keratin.  They make all different kinds for different types of hair.  

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy I also have tried "fancier" shampoos but years ago decided to stick with Suave shampoo and conditioner. I've used different "blends" and lately am using one infused with rose oil and love it. I run my hands through my hair a couple of days after washing and I still get a rose scent.

Suave has always been great for my hair.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I've used many, many shampoos over the years.  Even the expensive salon shampoos but I always go back to Suave.  I color/highlight my hair so I get that one with Keratin.  They make all different kinds for different types of hair.  

yes I like Suave, the clarifying , makes my hair great 

and the Keratin  and Morrocan are very good.

conditioner is OK,  right now I am using the Frieda blonde 

Honored Contributor

I like Suave too and as of 2020 it has been certified cruelty free by Leaping Bunny and Peta.

I also like Salon Selectives that I found in Dollar Tree! It is also cruelty free and made in US (I do care where), and it probably leaves my hair the nicest-I have hair that can look like a mop of straw with a mind of its own and about to take off! This makes it look more like a "normal" person😄 and soft and pretty-not so fly away straw.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I use Kendra, not a drugstore brand but not salon prices either.  I also use their leave in conditioner, have double processed hair but it's no where near dry.

Honored Contributor

I love this one! I only use shampoo, no conditioner. omg smells wonderful.

Suave Professionals Rose Oil Infusion Shampoo - 12.6 Fl. Oz. - ACME Markets

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee That's what I posted about and use. I love it.