Respected Contributor

What does oud smell like?

[ Edited ]

The hsn special for today is the active argan.  three scents - I understand the pure one (no scent), the second is a floral, the third they say is "more sensual and has notes of beramot and oud."  I honestly have no idea what that would smell like!!  Wish they would do a better job of describing. Can you help?  it's called moroccan night opium or something - would it smell like opium perfume?

Have you tried the firming body cream already?  Good cream?  Does it firm?

Honored Contributor

Re: What does oud smell like?

• One of my very most favorite perfumes is Tom Ford Oud Wood.  Oud comes from trees in the Middle East.  It's collected from the fungus that grows on the agar tree.  I love anything with oud in it but it can be a polarizing scent.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I googled oud and it came right up. Its a wood that has a resin used in perfume that is earthy and sensual

Respected Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ

@monicakm 

thanks for the replies.  @monicakm would you say that oud is a "green"or herbal smelling scent?  or is it smoky?

How would you describe bergamot?  Is it citrus?  Or citrus with a green / herbal note to it? 

When they are put together how do you think that smells?  I see that jo malone has a bergamot oud scent - still not sure what that actually smells like either even tho I watched a youtube video on it.

Honored Contributor

@moonandthestars 

No, oud is not green or herbal.  I have a lot of perfumes with bergamot but I couldn't describe it for you.  Google could tho Smiley Happy

I wanted to buy Jo Malone's Rose Oud during the Sephora spring sale but it was either sold out or they marked it sold out.  I think it was the latter.  

Honored Contributor

You was lucky I got some of Malone's colonge at Dillards that was suppose to be rose smell.  Awful smelling stuff. The matching satchet was better kept that one gave the colonge away.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE 

Was it the rose OUD fragrance?

50ml | velvet rose & oud cologne intense

Honored Contributor

no, just some kind of rose/peony.  I want Avon to a wild rose. quit making.   that's a true rose.

Honored Contributor

supposedly, Princess Kate uses her products.

Contributor

In my opinion, oud is VERY earthy and strong. It has a sharpness to it as well.

Bergamot is a bright citrus - almost as if you combined some lemon with lesser orange and grapefruit.