Honored Contributor

Re: What do you use to make curling iron curls last longer?

@SandGirl 

My hair is long and very fine, but I have a lot of it.

My curl has never fallen out after I got a perm on large rods which I do about every 4-6 months.

To keep the curl more defined, something like a beach wave (without all of that curling every morning-Yeah!), I use a nickle sized dollip of this product on each size and the back.

I pick my hair to keep the curl more defined and use this to pull it back while I sleep which will not leave a dent in your hair.

We Tested All the Hair Ties to Find the Best - PureWow

These items are from Walmart.  I get the gel from their .com now.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SandGirl  I also have fine hair that is militantly straight, it fights back against curls from hot tools.  It was also starting to thin very badly, and actually has done so all my life, the longer it gets the wider my part gets.  UNTIL I started using WEN botanical scalp and hair tonic.  My "tonsure" spot has filled in and I have new hairs sprouting out all along my hairline, which was receding.  So that's something to try to just get more hair and stop the thinning.  To hold curls, I'd suggest WEN Bella Spirit texture paste.  That stuff HOLDS.  You'd still want to use a heat protectant along with it, on damp hair, then, when it dries, you could try the curling iron and see if helps your curls stay intact.

I finally resorted to a perm several months ago, but my hair is strong enough to take it because I use WEN products.  My stylist used some kind of Olaplex product along with the perming solutions, and my perm is lasting an amazingly long time, it has hardly relaxed at all.  I'm thankful for that because Covid is surging something awful and I don't want to go back to the salon for another perm anytime soon.

Anyway, I wanted to suggest a two-part solution to the problem you are facing with what works for me.  I know there are literally HUNDREDS of WEN haters on this beauty board, but I felt you deserved to hear as many suggestions as anyone can come up with, as I know what it's like to watch your hair not just disappear, but also refuse to hold a style, too.

Respected Contributor

@CamilleP  THANK YOU!! I am NOT one of the Wen haters, I am on auto ship for the Scalp Tonic  Smiley Happy I was using it daily but now I only manage a couple times a week, I know Chaz says you do not need to wash but my hair style and fine hair just can't be styled nicely the next day if I sleep in the tonic so if I use it, I only use it while home, since Covid I am working from home a lot more so if I do then I put it on more but if I need to leave the house it requies a wash and style. 

I don't have the Bella Paste but I have the Bella Treatment mist and the styling cream, not the normal styling cream but the one he says enhances curls, I forget the name, it's white and you only need a tiny bit, if you work it through your hands it multiplys and you end up with to  much, its a great product but I don't notice any increase in curl hold but I do like it!

I am just not willing to go the perm route, I like to have options of straight, light curls, tighter curls, waves and such.

Sure with this Covid would improve, just seems to be getting worse. TAKE CARE!!!

Respected Contributor

@SandGirl  I am glad you are liking the tonic so far.  It takes some time to see results, I got it when it first came out, went through the first a/d system, it ended this spring, and I started another one.  I also manage only about 4-5 uses a week, but I do cleanse my hair every night before bed, because I ride an exercise bike in the evenings, and can't bear to go to bed sweaty and stinky, so I shower.  So the tonic only stays on my scalp a few hours a night, but I'm still seeing results.

I think the Bella Spirit product you are describing is the Enhancing/Defining Treatment Cream.  I use that on my perm to really hold and define the curls, but it didn't do anything for my straight hair.  The Texture Paste comes in a little jar and has a lot more hold, but you'd still want to use a true heat protectant, because neither the paste or treatment creams are heat protecting.  Right now the seasonal formula trios of styling cream are available in the fall and winter scents, I live for Fall Ginger Pumpkin and Winter Vanilla Mint, myself, but there are many other great scents. 

Good luck in your quest to find products that work for you!

Respected Contributor

I don’t use a curling iron. I use hot rollers. I get more volume and the curl lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
I don’t use a curling iron. I use hot rollers. I get more volume and the curl lasts longer.

My hair is past my bra line, hot rollers take me way to long in the morning when I'm trying to get to work by 5am, I workout at night and have just enough time to workout and get to bed so doing anything the night before is out of the question, since I've been curling forever, it really doesn't take me more than 15min tops to get curls around my whole head - rollers take me forever but I do like the curl and bounce, just not something I can do on weekday.

Respected Contributor

I love my Beachwaver styling iron! It’s the best and worth every penny I spent on it. The curls last and are ther until the next day. 

Now, if I want them to keep the just curled look, I lightly and I mean lightly spray my hairspray all over prior to curling it, as I don’t want them crunchy.  I use the Garnier hairspray in the green can and I love it! It also smells amazing. I do wait till my curls are cool and then tousle them with my fingers. 

Respected Contributor

@wvumountiefan wrote:

I love my Beachwaver styling iron! It’s the best and worth every penny I spent on it. The curls last and are ther until the next day. 

Now, if I want them to keep the just curled look, I lightly and I mean lightly spray my hairspray all over prior to curling it, as I don’t want them crunchy.  I use the Garnier hairspray in the green can and I love it! It also smells amazing. I do wait till my curls are cool and then tousle them with my fingers. 

@wvumountiefan  I have a beachwaver, it's actually adjustable I got it from Sally Beauty Supply, I have used it a few times but even on the largest setting I feel like from the back it look beautiful but from the sides it looks crimped almost like... then if I try to fluff it at all It gets fuzzy so I've only used it around the house or to be out in my yard all day lol

Respected Contributor

@SandGirl   If you can swing it, I hightly recommend the Dyson Corrale cordless styler that is the TSV for 9/7.  I sprang for one some months ago, and it really does make both flat ironing and curling your hair MUCH faster and easier.  You might find you can get your curls to hold better by using it, I don't know.  I do know it causes much less damage on my hair, and I can do my hair much, much faster with it because it is cordless.  I always knew that fighting the cord was part of my problem with other styling tools, but I didn't realize how much of a problem and a time sink it was!