Respected Contributor

What do you use to make curling iron curls last longer?

I'm running out of some of my current stuff I use when I curl my hair, I of course use a good hold hairspray and all that jazz, heat protectant and so on, I just have super soft, fine hair so I really need some "grit" for my curls to stay all day.

Just looking for some product suggestions to check out before I go shopping  Smiley Happy

Thank you!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What do you use to make curling iron curls last longer?

Get a Perm

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Get a Perm

I permed in the 80s and 90s, since I am older and my hair has thinned a little and much finer in texture than it used to me, I am not willing to damage my hair and end up with further hair loss from perming, plus a perm, the curls are not the type of curls I add to my hair.

Respected Contributor

@SandGirl   Also, be sure to let the curls completely cool down after curling before styling or go another day before washing your hair.  When you curl again before washing, it should hold since there would already be product left in your hair. 

Sometimes, a smaller width on the curling iron helps too since the curls would be a tighter curl.

Other then getting a perm, I'm not sure what else you can do, but a perm might damage your fine hair.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@SandGirl   Also, be sure to let the curls completely cool down after curling before styling or go another day before washing your hair.  When you curl again before washing, it should hold since there would already be product left in your hair. 

Sometimes, a smaller width on the curling iron helps too since the curls would be a tighter curl.

Other then getting a perm, I'm not sure what else you can do, but a perm might damage your fine hair.

@CAcableGirl2   Thank you!! I curl my entire head and let cool for about 20min then run fingers through, lift and spray, I do get hold most of the day since I use a 1" curling iron and "work it", I've been curling my hair for 35 years so I'm pretty savvy with the curling iron LOL

When I use products I can usually get the curls to hold, I'm just looking for some NEW suggestions for some new products to try, just to change things up a bit and try something new is all

Respected Contributor

I don't have a specific product recommendation but I've always found that using a mousse holds my hair better than a gel or curling spray. 

Respected Contributor

@SandGirl   Try using your hairspray after your curls cool down BEFORE you run your fingers through it.  That should help a little bit to keep the curls in place.  Then you could use a bit more hairspray once you get the exact look you would like. 

Sorry I can't recommend products, as my basics are hairspray and a little "root lift" product once in a while. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Trusted Contributor

Try a texture spray before you curl.  I use Lange Salt and Sea Spray, but there are plenty of sea salt and other texture sprays on the market.

Respected Contributor

@Eliana wrote:

Try a texture spray before you curl.  I use Lange Salt and Sea Spray, but there are plenty of sea salt and other texture sprays on the market.

@Eliana  That is what I currently do. It helps a ton, then I lightly spray it, allow to cool, it works well.

I am just looking for actual product suggestions to try, like a brand, product of maybe what other people use and love while curling their hair.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

This gets pretty good reviews on Target website.  It might be my next purchase when I run out of what I'm using.