Trusted Contributor

Re: What do you give your Hair Stylist for Christmas?

She makes it easy....nothing because her family doesn't celebrate any of the holidays.  

Honored Contributor

I give her a card with cash - double my normal tip.  Separate from the tip for the service I'm seeing her for in December.

Honored Contributor

Years ago I gave a gift, but now I just give a larger tip.  I think they like that better.  (Also same for my dog's groomer--larger tip.)

Honored Contributor

I know that they have expenses like booth rental or owning a building, equipment repair and replace, no paid healthcare usually, other expenses of running a business and the burden of being there so much of the time and standing on your feet.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  In large, established salons the stylists pay a percentage to the owner(s).  If the stylists is a smaller salon sometimes the stylist has to pay for her chair and I believe keeps everything she makes.  Hair stylists can make really good money depending where they are located and their clients.  I am sorry I never thought of doing it when I was young.  You can end up doing weddings and other special occasions.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

If I have an appointment close to the holiday, I give her an extra tip.  Same with my nail tech.  

As it turns out, I have a hair appointment on the 21st and a nail appointment on the 23rd so both will get extra tip money.  

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Sooner  In large, established salons the stylists pay a percentage to the owner(s).  If the stylists is a smaller salon sometimes the stylist has to pay for her chair and I believe keeps everything she makes.  Hair stylists can make really good money depending where they are located and their clients.  I am sorry I never thought of doing it when I was young.  You can end up doing weddings and other special occasions.

@Katcat1, in my area, most salons are booth rental.  It didn't used to be that way.

Honored Contributor

I think they always appreciate money. I tip my stylist 20% for services, for Christmas I give her $50, I give the woman who washes my hair $25.

Respected Contributor

I see a colorist in a seperate shop from the woman who cuts my hair.

I've been with the colorist forever. I do give him a gift because we both have the sensitive skin problems and I give him hi end creams. Last year I gave him a tub of FAB and he told me he really liked it. I hope he just wasn't being polite because I got him another tub this year. The owner has made a point of charging for everything that she didn't used to. He works around it when he can. Also, when I have my roots done and don't do a blow out he puts Morrocanoil on my hair and sits me under the dryer. The owner hasn't figured out how to charge me for that.

The woman who cuts my hair is the owner but I do tip her during the year. She's gotten greedy and keeps raising her prices. I'll give her the usual tip.

Respected Contributor

I give her a nice bottle of wine -- I know she and her husband drink wine and like reds and she is always appreciative.