Honored Contributor

Re: What do you give your Hair Stylist for Christmas?

[ Edited ]

Well, I had purchased her gift certificate for the Mexican restaurant she loves (after the leather wallet needed to go back...long story). They had a deal when you purchase a $50 certificate, we get a $10 gift card to use there. So it's the same $40 I would have spent on wallet.

Here's the hitch. She just decided to take time off the week before Christmas (had to cancel the appt. I made months ago) and of course she's booked until she leaves. I could go to another stylist at same salon, but no one else there has cut my hair. It's not easy to cut short, curly hair & she nails it each time. Needless to say, short hair needs a cut every 4 weeks and now I'm stuck looking like ---- until after New Years? Do I still give a generous gift?

Honored Contributor

I go to the same salon and whoever is available cuts my hair.  My hairstyle is an easy cut - bob w/a few long layers so I'm happy no matter who does it. 

So no gift giving for all the stylists working there.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  - Seems like she would have fit you in her schedule somehwere since she's the one that changed it for her convenience.  She should have offered to stay late one day or something, right?  I don't blame you for not being happy about it. 

However, as far as a gift, would you feel bad later if you didn't give it to her?

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@Shanus  - Seems like she would have fit you in her schedule somehwere since she's the one that changed it for her convenience.  She should have offered to stay late one day or something, right?  I don't blame you for not being happy about it. 

However, as far as a gift, would you feel bad later if you didn't give it to her?

@San Antonio Gal   Yes, you'd think after being a client almost every 4-6 weeks, there'd be an hour available. I'll still give her a gift, but a smaller one...maybe still a gift certicate to same restaurant or cash (either $25) which is the amount of tip for cut/blow dry. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Well, I had purchased her gift certificate for the Mexican restaurant she loves (after the leather wallet needed to go back...long story). They had a deal when you purchase a $50 certificate, we get a $10 gift card to use there. So it's the same $40 I would have spent on wallet.

Here's the hitch. She just decided to take time off the week before Christmas (had to cancel the appt. I made months ago) and of course she's booked until she leaves. I could go to another stylist at same salon, but no one else there has cut my hair. It's not easy to cut short, curly hair & she nails it each time. Needless to say, short hair needs a cut every 4 weeks and now I'm stuck looking like ---- until after New Years? Do I still give a generous gift?

@Shanus   I'm picky about who cuts my hair too....when I find someone who gives me a great cut and understands what I want I stick with them! 

I'm surprised that your stylist didn't let you know enough in advance to reschedule so you could use her before the holiday.  Both my hair stylist & manicurist always do.

If you can wait then I would see her after the holidays, if not then ask her to suggest someone.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus   I'm picky about who cuts my hair too....when I find someone who gives me a great cut and understands what I want I stick with them! 

I'm surprised that your stylist didn't let you know enough in advance to reschedule so you could use her before the holiday.  Both my hair stylist & manicurist always do.

If you can wait then I would see her after the holidays, if not then ask her to suggest someone.

@haddon9   If someone has a very short layered style, a bad haircut can take many months to grow out to where I  started. I'll wait until she's back after New Year's. She knows I'm not pleased and because of last minute trip, she's lost more than a few regular clients that get color/highlights and are "stuck". Luckily, I had my hair cut about 2 weeks ago (that's when I was informed). I was sensitive when I heard asking if all was OK with her family, etc. since she suddenly decided to take so much time off. All's well, she was just "exhausted after all the company at thanksgiving and needed a break". Well, don't we all?

Valued Contributor

My stylist moved her salon to her home this past year due to new baby..... I LOVE her work and appreciate her.  I tip her $40 which is 20% of my color/cut bill each time; I no longer give extra for Christmas.  I did do a $100 gift card for each baby (3 now) and really don't think it's a big deal to not do a holiday gift anymore.  

Respected Contributor

Sometimes cash but often times I give a gift card to her favorite places where she likes to shop. In fact I just came back from a small boutique where my nail tech shops for her. Got her a gift card for the boutique.

Trusted Contributor

Nothing, I pay her well and tip her well all year long.  

Honored Contributor

I tip all year and give her an extra payment as a gift. She s a genius!!