Honored Contributor

Re: What do you give your Hair Stylist for Christmas?

After years of having the same person cut our hair, last year we made a change and we just go to Great Clips.  We'll be due to go again the week before Christmas.

More than like we'll have two different people cut our hair. I'll give $20 to each as a tip.  I usually end up having the same woman cut mine just by chance. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

I'm fortunate to have her take care with my hair so in appreciation I give her a nice extra price of a visit.  I feel fortunate to be able to do that for her.

She could just chop off my hair and throw on some color, but she does her best for me to make me look good and I think that deserves a thank you!  Cash.  Hard cold C A S H!

People deserve gifts whether they need them or not.  It's not charity.  It is a gift.  It shows you appreciate them. 

Regular Contributor

Though I agree that cash is appreciated...don't downplay how much they make.  I have a friend who is a Physician's Assistant (she can write prescriptions) and a hair stylist. She rents a booth from a small local salon.  She makes more money as a stylist than in the medical field.  

Esteemed Contributor

I give her a gift card for a restaurant. She's cuts both my hair and my husbands hair plus colors mine every 4 weeks. She books us 6 months in advance and is always able to fit us in if we should need to change our schedule. She doesn't need "stuff" but cash or a restaurant is always welcome. 

Respected Contributor

I usually give her a very nice gift. She is a great hair stylist and a good friend.  This year I bought her a Waterford Bisquit Barrel from ShopHQ.  They had special prices on things from Waterford.  I made some cookies and put inside and will give to her.  As Christmas is a very special time I will give to many as much as I can.

Esteemed Contributor

I tip well each visit. For holidays I tip slightly more and give bags of zebra popcorn from Costco. She has 4 kids and they love it. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

The cost of her service for a cut and color $50.

Honored Contributor

I gave her a giant tin of homemade cookies and candies that she loved, and froze in packets for treats.  Unfortunately, she moved a month ago.Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

My stylist's nail salon is down the road from me. Thanks for reminding me to pick up a gift card for her. The nail salon is not where she works.

My mani/ pedi girl is just 19, so she will get $.

My sister is a stylist. She has a mortgage, husband and 2 young kids. Forget the gifts. Do not listen to the Q. These people don't need mugs, candles, sugary treats, etc. Give them in cash what you would have spent on a gift. Makes it easy on everyone- no shopping or wrapping innvolved and the gift will be truly appreciated. A card with a note of appreciation for him or her along with the $ adds the personal touch.