Respected Contributor

Re: What did you use up this week? 5/21

[ Edited ]

That's impressive, to me...b'cuz I've been on auto-delivery for a DD moisturizer, serum, exfoliator, micro-delivery pad kit, and I've gotten those pads with other purchases in the past too...and ...I never seem to use those all up! I know I should use them more....at least I THINK I should. (I finally finished ONE this year...first time in forever, lol.)

If I can ask @JeanKC  How do you feel you benefit from them? Do you notice specific differences in your skin from them? Because I never have. Just curious. Maybe you'll inspire me to use them up! 😄

@JeanKC wrote:
Dr. Denese facial pads

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

~Donated lots of items that I didn't like to a lady in town who was less well off but loves makeup. She was happy. I was out of money from the bad purchases but her happiness made me happy!!!

~I am going to experiment with moving to drugstore beauty products in makeup and skincare soon. I want to see how I can live with less prestigious makeup and skincare because when we retire in a few years we won't have the same budget. I have been reading about "high-end dupes" and I want to see if I can still look good and spend less." Drugstore makeup is getting a lot of good press right now so I am going to see as I use up my high-end products.

I love that you made that woman's day by sharing your products with her...that's great!

I too want to do the drugstore thing. I have already switched to a Revlon mascara when Mally stopped making my favorite. And this year I bought Loreal "Infallible Glow" wand concealer, I'm very happy with, since Mally has long since stopped making my favorite "Holy Grail" cream concealer. Tried IT but it's too thick and hard to apply. This Loreal is light, easy to apply, good coverage and pretty good staying power, doesn't look too heavy on. Also comes in plenty of shades, and I was able to pick a good match easily.

I am next contemplating skincare...either drugstore, or "natural" products, which may come from healthfood stores or Amazon...or online somewhere. Just guessing some of the natural ones may not be in the drugstore, but they may be.

@Squirrel Lover maybe you could share as you try things, or start a thread on that...I know it comes up for discussion, at times, here...and feel many women would be interested. Much as I've always liked Philosophy Hope in A Jar...when it went over $125 to buy...I quit it. I've always loved DD products and used them for years, and got a good deal on that AD, so I kept letting that come.  But, honestly, and I know this...not taking any years off me...but my skin is soft and healthy looking. I believe another good, less "prestigious" cream will do the same.

Respected Contributor

Thanks @kathie66  for getting us started this week! I only used up:

Suave Almond and Shea Butter conditioner in the large 28oz size- I replaced it with the same in the 12.6oz size. This is my daily go to conditioner, along with the matching shampoo.

That's all I had this week, have a great weekend everyone!

Esteemed Contributor

Good morning, All.  

I didn't use up anything this week except a travel sized bottle of BBW 'Warm Vanilla Sugar' shea butter lotion.  Replaced with small tube of BBW fragrance 'Figi' which smells like a vacation in a faraway place.

@Squirrel Lover -- I switched to drugstore brands many years ago and have never looked back.  I had tried QVC brands and beauty store brands over the years, but never found anything I liked.  My skin and my pocketbook are happier with the tried and true drugstore brands.  Good luck to you!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Super Contributor

Hi Beauties,

I'm just stopping by to say hello.  I've not used up anything this week.  I've been trying hard this year to focus on using up what I already have instead of purchasing more but somehow I'm just not using much.  I've thrown out a ton of old expired makeup as I'm redoing our master bathroom and I don't want things in there I no longer use.  

Have a great week!

Honored Contributor

@amyb wrote:

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

~Donated lots of items that I didn't like to a lady in town who was less well off but loves makeup. She was happy. I was out of money from the bad purchases but her happiness made me happy!!!

~I am going to experiment with moving to drugstore beauty products in makeup and skincare soon. I want to see how I can live with less prestigious makeup and skincare because when we retire in a few years we won't have the same budget. I have been reading about "high-end dupes" and I want to see if I can still look good and spend less." Drugstore makeup is getting a lot of good press right now so I am going to see as I use up my high-end products.

I love that you made that woman's day by sharing your products with her...that's great!

I too want to do the drugstore thing. I have already switched to a Revlon mascara when Mally stopped making my favorite. And this year I bought Loreal "Infallible Glow" wand concealer, I'm very happy with, since Mally has long since stopped making my favorite "Holy Grail" cream concealer. Tried IT but it's too thick and hard to apply. This Loreal is light, easy to apply, good coverage and pretty good staying power, doesn't look too heavy on. Also comes in plenty of shades, and I was able to pick a good match easily.

I am next contemplating skincare...either drugstore, or "natural" products, which may come from healthfood stores or Amazon...or online somewhere. Just guessing some of the natural ones may not be in the drugstore, but they may be.

@Squirrel Lover maybe you could share as you try things, or start a thread on that...I know it comes up for discussion, at times, here...and feel many women would be interested. Much as I've always liked Philosophy Hope in A Jar...when it went over $125 to buy...I quit it. I've always loved DD products and used them for years, and got a good deal on that AD, so I kept letting that come.  But, honestly, and I know this...not taking any years off me...but my skin is soft and healthy looking. I believe another good, less "prestigious" cream will do the same.

@amyb I also want to go this route.  Thinking of retiring next year and know my budget will be limited.  Right now I've got a few things on AD and will continue those until the AD runs out but want to start switching over to drugstore or natural brands.  Having a thread going about it would be great idea.  I learn so much from everyone here and trying to find the right product can sometimes be overwhelming.  Hearing what other women like/don't like is so helpful.

Trusted Contributor

Used up:

Tatcha One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil - I really like this cleanser. I don't need to use a lot so this bottle lasted 5 months. It takes off everything and rinses off clean. I don't need to double cleanse with this. Replaced with the same. 

Urban Decay All Nighter Honey mini - This came in a set and it was fine. The scent isn't great. I definitely prefer the original which I replaced with this one. I've been using this for years.

Clinique Lash Power mascara - I go back and forth between waterproof mascara and tubing mascara. This is a tubing one and I like it. It really does stay on without smudging. Replaced with the same.

Tossed:

Lancome Idole mascara mini - This wasn't my preference. It didn't build up so I used it under another volumizing waterproof mascara.

Benefit Gimme Brow mini - This seemed to be similar to the Glossier Boy Brow but I think it made me break out near my eyebrows. I never break out there so I figure it's from this. I do like the tiny spoolie.

Glossier Play ColorSlide in Disaster Class - I know why this has been discontinued. It's pretty dry and not very pigmented. I also tried to use it as an eye base but it didn't spread out smoothly. Not worth the effort.

Sunday Riley Auto Correct Eye Cream sample - I don't know if it's this or all eye creams. My eyes were irritated and it didn't do anything that I could see. 

Esteemed Contributor

I used up:

-a bottle of The Ordinary's Alpha Arbutin Serum.  Replaced with same.

-a sample packet of Tatcha The Silk Peony Melting Eye Cream.  This is a nice eye cream, but I would not pay the steep price for it.

-a sample tube of Ren Evercalm Overnight Recovery Balm.  I was using this on my face during the winter, but don't need it on my face now.  So I put it on my hands at night to use it up.  This wasn't a bad product, but it's a bit greasy for use on the face.  I would maybe buy it if I felt like I needed it during the winter again, but would prefer to just use a cream, if possible.

-a bottle of Mill Creek Botanicals Spiced Apple Lotion.  This has been hanging around for awhile and I wanted to use it up rather than try to hang on to it for use next fall.  The lotion is a really nice consistency; not too thick or too thin.  The smell is delicious.  I would buy this again in the future.

I also put one eyeshadow palette in my donation box.

That's it for this week!!  I hope everyone is having a great weekend 🌞

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Respected Contributor

Hi Beauty Friends,

I used up an 8oz. bottle of Purity Made Simple, and refilled it from my Supersize Auto Delivery. I switch back and forth from this and Tatcha cleansing oil. Love both.

Also finished a Josie Maran jar of Divine Drip Honey Neck Creme. I love this line but don't think I see any results with this particular product, so I won't repurchase unless it comes in a kit.

I finished a Palmers Olive Oil Shampoo and was lucky to go to Walmart this week and repurchase this. In my city the drugstores charge almost double for items so I try to stock up when I drive out of town to other stores. I use both drugstore and prestige cosmetics. It's great to mix them up, and I applaud the ladies who are making the change. I would welcome a thread about which drugstore brands are dupes and work well. that's why I like this thread so many comments and so much to learn from my Beauty Friends. 

Thanks again @kathie66  for jumping in and starting the thread. 
Great Weekend everyone.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Lumene Valo Glow Reveal Moisturizer with Vitamin C Ingredients and Reviews

Линия с витамином С Valo [Light], Lumene: отзывы | Beauty Insider

Just finished a jar, opened a new one and ordered four more. Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~