Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 70,470
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

When I complained to my PCP that my skin was becoming so thin It bruised easily, she picked up the phone and called someone in the UNM geriatric department.  She was told it was a reaction to a reduction is estrogen that occurs when one becomes a certain age.  The doctor with whom she spoke suggested rubbing on an estrogen cream.  A little tiny tube of the stuff was $110.  with insurance.  That wouldn't last a week plus my doctor wasn't thrilled about me using it so I learned to live with the condition.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,307
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Brisky wrote:
Aging has more to do with life style choices and the luck of the draw.

And genes


AND chronic illness which isn't always due to lifestyle.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,702
Registered: ‎08-22-2013

My doctor says genetics plays a huge part in how your body responds to ageing. Of course, a healthy life style is just common sense. All the women in my family have young looking skin for our age, even my 84 year old aunt has decent skin. We all stayed out of the sun as adults and took care of our skin.

Super Contributor
Posts: 404
Registered: ‎11-02-2018

Thank you for the information. It really helps.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,357
Registered: ‎07-21-2014

Re: What causes skin to age

[ Edited ]

Totally do agree that Stress is a big ager of our skin and lack of sleep too.  Genes I feel does play a big part in us for many things.   I used to lay out in the sun and get tan but have not for a few years. Now I do the sunless tanner or bronzing thing and my skin looks better. I have friends that go to the tanning beds and their skin looks like leather!! 

Overload of sugar  is an ager plus wreaks havoc in our bodies!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,462
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

I inherited N. European skin. My Mother, Grandmother and her sisters had crepey like skin. My Mother never used a moisturizer as I think she thought she had oily  skin but it was combination. It was bar soap like Zest or Ivory and water. She only used powder, rouge and lipstick in the 1950s. One of her sisters moved to Ca. and she really aged from the sun. She said she was allergic to Paba used years ago as sunscreen.

 

No one smoked or drank and ate well.  I vowed never to look like my Mother and began skin care at about age 20 out of college beginning with Mary Kay in 1974.  I also  have more updated and current available products to use including sunscreen options. I have so many more scientific researched products that are available.

 

Keeping moisturized on the outside and drinking water for the inside helps also. I have the sagging and mouth lines coming in but nice skin for my age, 66. My forehead is the worst and some age spots. I dont have the crepey lined cheeks my relatives had. I am liking retin A and Vit. C. Moisturize, exfoliate and use sunscreen daily. 

I also pay attention to  the neck area and that helps.

 

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 35,362
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@Kachina624 wrote:

When I complained to my PCP that my skin was becoming so thin It bruised easily, she picked up the phone and called someone in the UNM geriatric department.  She was told it was a reaction to a reduction is estrogen that occurs when one becomes a certain age.  The doctor with whom she spoke suggested rubbing on an estrogen cream.  A little tiny tube of the stuff was $110.  with insurance.  That wouldn't last a week plus my doctor wasn't thrilled about me using it so I learned to live with the condition.


@Kachina624 

 

Off topic, but have you seen the new UNM logo?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,621
Registered: ‎03-30-2014

I am always shocked when I visit relatives living a ways south of San Antonio and then come back to our yearlong rain festival here in northwest Oregon.  Old skin looks so much better here.  Sun is the culprit.  Plus we save money since we never need prescription sunglasses.  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 70,470
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@just bee wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

When I complained to my PCP that my skin was becoming so thin It bruised easily, she picked up the phone and called someone in the UNM geriatric department.  She was told it was a reaction to a reduction is estrogen that occurs when one becomes a certain age.  The doctor with whom she spoke suggested rubbing on an estrogen cream.  A little tiny tube of the stuff was $110.  with insurance.  That wouldn't last a week plus my doctor wasn't thrilled about me using it so I learned to live with the condition.


@Kachina624 

 

Off topic, but have you seen the new UNM logo?


@just bee. No, i havent.  I'll look for it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor
Posts: 35,362
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@Kachina624 wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

When I complained to my PCP that my skin was becoming so thin It bruised easily, she picked up the phone and called someone in the UNM geriatric department.  She was told it was a reaction to a reduction is estrogen that occurs when one becomes a certain age.  The doctor with whom she spoke suggested rubbing on an estrogen cream.  A little tiny tube of the stuff was $110.  with insurance.  That wouldn't last a week plus my doctor wasn't thrilled about me using it so I learned to live with the condition.


@Kachina624 

 

Off topic, but have you seen the new UNM logo?


@just bee. No, i havent.  I'll look for it.


@Kachina624 

 

LOGO

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~