Honored Contributor

Re: What are your current favorite makeup products? What do you want to try?

[ Edited ]

You heard it here. I'm moving away from Bobbi Brown after using it and recommending it most often for 30 years! So many of my favorite products/colors (even those w/ 5 star reviews) have been discontinued, I've become disillusioned. 

My vanity drawer now seems to have a mixture of Laura Mercier, Trish McEvoy, MAC, Urban Decay eyeliners, Nars blush, Buxom and Marc Jacobs for gloss + lots of drugstore products from Milani, Neutrogena and Wet 'N Wild lip pencils. 

Still using my BB Foundation Stick and Tinted Mousturizer. They haven't discontinued my very fair neutral shade...yet. Without testers available, it may be awhile until I can find a dupe that doesn't turn pink or orange on me. 

***With the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale at the end of the month through first 2 wks. of Aug., that's when I love to pick up my makeup palettes, kits and special deals. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not on the hunt for anything...at the moment.

But my relatively new favorite face & eye color is Gallany Blossom. Their creme satin lipsticks are wonderful, too!

Blossom 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner -- I'm glad you're back from the "outer worlds."  And I'm curious about your  using rubbing alcohol as a toner.  (you are using rubbing alcohol, right?)   I'm also old with very oily skin.  I swiped with alcohol decades ago until friends told me it was really bad for my skin.  Please report how alcohol works for you over time.  

Who knows if my favorite makeup products of old will still be favorites when I start wearing makeup again?  Right now, all my makeup is rotting in my makeup drawer and I should toss it.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not even currently wearing makeup thanks to the virus and staying home!  However, I read about a Burt's Bees foundation that sounded nice and I would like to buy it.  Why --- beats me --- I won't get to wear it! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tototwo Well, I'm not exactly using it as a toner, but I do occasionally swipe my face with it and it has pretty much stopped little breakouts.  Just slightly dampen a cotton ball with plain rubbing alcohol (think Vodka would be better? LOL!) and wipe my face.  I don't do it every night, just sometimes when I have washed my face toward the end of the day or have been out and feel like I need to "de-germ" or have been in the yard.

I started doing this quite a while ago when we were getting pickups and handling a lot of packages and I worried I had unconsciously touched my face.  I have oily but very sensitive skin.  

I had stopped makeup before I started this, so I really think it is these little damp wipes that have helped.  It does NOT make my face red or more irritated.  But that's just me.  I never really have used toner very much.

I also discovered that I wash my hands well more than 20 sec. and always have.  

Respected Contributor

I recently started using my mineral foundation again...and wonder why I ever stopped! Meow Cosmetics is the brand--they have lots of shades and 3 different formulas. Even though I'm 65, my skin is still very oily, and the liquid foundations I'd been using were making my face an oil slick. I combine 2 of Meow's formulas, and just ordered a new jar of each. They last a long time!

For other makeup, I'm using Bobbi Brown Gel Liner Pots in Black Ink and/or Sepia Ink, Laura Geller's Super Cheek Pallette (the 2 bronzers make great eyeshadows for when I want that look--rarely these days), CoverGirl Lipstain, Buxom Lipgloss, and CoverGirl Lashblast mascara.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, Vodka might be better, @Sooner.  Ha.  Actually, since resverotrol is good for our insides, it might also be good for our outsides too??  Maybe swipe on a little red wine? I can dig it!

Your reasons for using alcohol on your face make sense to me.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

Too Faced and Urban Decay eyeshadow palettes and lip glosses.............love!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My current favorite products are as follows:

Fluid to powder foundation by Bobbi Brown

In the Buff non sticky lip gloss (beautiful shade like my lip color but better)

Bobbi Brown powder blush

Kylie powder blush

Glossy brown mascara by Clinique

Not looking to try any makeup products but I probably would like to try more of Mario Badescu skincare which I love.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@tototwo 

With that logic, I'm going to start drinking my HA Smiley Wink  Beauty from within.  They say that's where it starts!