Honored Contributor

Re: What are some makeup products and/or tips that you feel make you look a bit refreshed?

@tototwo wrote:

@arizele-- Have you ever tried a lash primer?  I currently use and recommend L'oreal's lash primer in the white tube.  I don't use a waterproof mascara so can't speak to that.  But the lash primer keeps my regular mascara from smearing or flaking, and it makes it sooo much easier to remove my mascara at the end of the day.

@tototwo   You can also let a bit of shadow or fine setting powder fall on lashes. It thickens them a little before mascara. See which technique is best for you.

Honored Contributor

Re: What are some makeup products and/or tips that you feel make you look a bit refreshed?

@viva923 wrote:

I have to use powder foundation. Bare Minerals work the best for me, (the original foundation-loose powder).

I find the best brush to use is my kabuki style brush. I have found make up forever #124 brush great for application as well as Laura Geller kabuki style brush is wonderful too. Depending on the mood i am in is the brush I will use for the week.

I wash my brushes with either baby shampoo or Bare Minerals brush shampoo (again depending on the mood I am in)

I find after I apply my foundation I apply a very light coat of Bare Mineral radiance all over face powder , just a touch is all I use. Apply my blush, then I seal it with Geurlain meteriotes pearls face powder, I use #3 medium, it has the least amount of facial shine. I just apply a light coat of that. 

My face is set for whole day. 

@viva923   BM Radiance or mineral veil? Seems Radiance and then the "pearls" would add a lot of shine/shimmer to the face.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1   I like Maracuja oil, as well.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Kabella wrote:

One of my foundations is Bare Mineral Original loose mineral Foundation. For Some of you that feel its too Glowy, my Tip is this..Apply BM Mineral Veil first but don't buff it, Then apply the foundation using the method of buffing well in a circulation motion. You will find it will give you a more natural finish. Repeat the process if you want med. coverage. I alway finish it off with a mist of Rose Water & you will not look like you have powder on your face. I never cared for the Matte verson.

@Kabella 

Never tried Bare Minerals but have always had it on my list.  It sounds really nice the way you describe applying it!  

@AngelPuppy1   Bare Minerals Original Foundation is in my rotation as a fast, easy go to foundation. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

I think one of these threads came up and I typed a full page of tips. I wouldn't know where to start. I'll take questions if you narrow it down to lips, eyes, foundation, skincare, etc. 

@Shanus 

You always have really good makeup advice and tips.  Are you a makeup artist?  

I always find your posts so interesting.  I don't have any particular question but I like to get tips and ideas and products from others here and what helps and works for them.

Good morning @AngelPuppy1 . Thanks for the compliment. I'm always happy to answer questions. Yes, I've been a makeup artist for many years. I started and trained with Bobbi Brown when she began her company. I'm now on my own...freelance in dept. stores for special events or privately for weddings, proms, family photos, etc. I also have training as an aesthetician.

@Shanus 

That's really amazing!  I have always admired her - her approach to makeup and application seems so timeless and classic.  

As I was thinking, I do have a question for you.  My eyebrows are a disaster.  They have always been pretty light, but now that I am older (67) they are sketchy and faded and I honestly don't know what to do with them.  I have tried so many products on them but I can't get them to look better and natural.  I don't wear a lot of eye makeup and I am very fair.  Would my best bet be to go and get them styled as best they can and then dyed??  Or, do you think since I don't wear much eye makeup, that I should just leave them alone? Thanks for your opinion! 

@AngelPuppy1   Never (I rarely say never) leave brows "alone". They frame your face and can add symmetry  and structure. I had my darker, bushy brows professionally "done" for the first time ever within the last 2 yrs. & posted a pic here. Night and day difference. If your brows are light & hair light, too, I'd have them colored (by a pro) to a light/med. taupe. If darker, the brow pro can judge, but I always prefer brows that are not the first thing you see on your face. OK, brows are tweezed, threaded, waxed (avoid wax if use Retin A or retinol). Filling in: for the most natural look, begin w/ a pencil with a fine point. I like the Benefit Gimme Brow pencil. With my grey hair, I use the blonde shade which is actually a cool taupe. I lightly fill in any sparse areas w/ hair like stokes and then find a similar color powder shadow w/ an ankled brush to go over this lightly. It all should appear like a "shadow" behind the brow hair to look natural. If you want a truly finished brow and take the time, you can now apply a brow gel, clear or a light color, to finish the look. For every day, I just do a pencil and brow gel. The best tips for measuring your brows and getting the shape yourself is the tutorials on Pinterest. But remember, it's always better to take a few hairs at a time, can't put them back. If unsure, leave it to a pro the first time and then follow the "brow map" she's made for you. Whew! Long post. 😜

@Shanus 

I can truthfully say that I have tried so many times to get some order to my brows, using so many different products and looking at many videos on-line and have not been able to acomplish a look that is anything beyond hideous!  I just know at this point I can't do them myself.  The only place around here that I know that does brows is Ulta.  Any thoughts on them??  I very much appreciate your helping me because I sure need it!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Thanks, everyone, for posting and sharing your tips and products! So interesting to read and kind of you all!  

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1   I have had no experience w/ ULTA's brow bar, but if you're struggling, have no other place, give it shot...nothing to lose, right? See if they charge for a consultation. I'm also not sure if all ULTA's have the brow services. Good luck. Report back.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@AngelPuppy1   I have had no experience w/ ULTA's brow bar, but if you're struggling, have no other place, give it shot...nothing to lose, right? See if they charge for a consultation. I'm also not sure if all ULTA's have the brow services. Good luck. Report back.

@Shanus 

Yes, I have gotten their local flyers and they list brow services.  I think when I am at the mall the next time I will stop in and talk to them if they are not really busy and see what they have to say.  If I think they seem decent, I will schedule an appointment.  Thanks a lot for all your help!  

Honored Contributor

I’m very fair ... For me - a little dusting with light bronzer and a bit of tinted lipgloss, tousle my hair - works just fine.
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:
I’m very fair ... For me - a little dusting with light bronzer and a bit of tinted lipgloss, tousle my hair - works just fine.

@ALRATIBA 

A little goes a long way, right?  If something is simple, we're more likely to do it!