Valued Contributor

Re: What are people doing about their grey hair

@Shanus - Everything you said resonates with me.  I also had to check my calendar to see if my halo would be evident when I had an "event" coming up and it usually was, since I have had to do the base every 3-4 weeks at this point.   In fact, when making plans, from vacations to dinner dates wth friends, I would mentally count where my color schedule would be in that time frame.  I'd be thinking, "well, OK, 3 - weeks in...it won't look too bad."  Boy, does that seem a silly waste of time now.

I'd love to be able to do it the way you did, and I would, except I think for me, my hair is better left alone at least for now, to do it's own thing.   I might reach the point of wanting to go that route, though.

It would be nice if I had friends to go through the transition with me but, since none of them are ready yet, I will be the lone ranger.  I've never had a problem being a trail blazer, though. lol  Maybe some of them will join me down the line.

Thanks for your encouragement and I will definately let you know how it goes!

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

What is the trick for getting gray hair to take the color?  I tried Garnier Nutrisse this morning and my roots on the top of my head are lighter than the rest of my hair.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Did you leave it in long enough @susanks1 ?  I usually go longer than what the box says and I get good results.

Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

Seriously, what is wrong with you people? People are dying and you are worried about your grey hair??? Wow.

I am an advanced worrier. I can worry about 100 things at the same time. So Woman Tongue

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Frequent Contributor

I left it on for 30 minutes.

Honored Contributor

Letting the drapes match the carpet.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@susanks1 wrote:

I left it on for 30 minutes.

@susanks1   it sounds like hot roots. the roots are warmer than the rest of your hair.  the color processes faster at the roots.   did you use red or blonde?? i have had that happen with red shades.

do not try to fix this by recoloring with permanent color.  you could try semi-permanent or demi-permanent color on the roots only. before you do anything else,  try calling the Garneir or L'Oreal #800.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't cover or color the gray/white streaks in my hair around my face, I am happy where it has naturally lightened since I used to chemically lighten my hair for years in the same areas I have grayed, so it works for me as is!

Super Contributor

I used clairol root touchup, came out great

Frequent Contributor

I used a dark blonde color.

Thanks for the ideas.