Esteemed Contributor

Re: What are people doing about their grey hair

@Shanus 

@Shanus wrote:

@qvcaddition wrote:

I have four wigs I never worn that is my hair style and the color is better than mine that I get colored at the salon.  So I wanted to see how I would look with white hair, but not long hair.

I,m going on 4weeks cut short.v next week was my five week cut and color, but it looks good right now.  I could go seven and eight and use color foot touch up or try letting it go white.  Day by day.

@qvcaddition   Of course, my vote would be going naturally white while inside anyway. A great opportunity. You do have wigs if you need them. 

You are right.  Took off my long nails also. Wow, what a change, but staying safe more important for everyone than beauty now. Using creams, but not makeup.  Still dressing for moral.

Esteemed Contributor

I am even cutting my poodles hair and doing her nails.  She gets groomed every 6 weeks and going on 8 now, but has curly hair and looks so cute.

Wow if it works, between her and me, saving 170 a month.  We may see the bright spot through all this, that we can do things we didn't know we could.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I color my own hair.  

L'Oreal Creme Excellence. #6. 

I have 3 in my stash so I'm set for quite awhile. I color it every 6-7 weeks or so. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@mac116 wrote:

I colored my roots this morning. I've been doing it for a few years using professional hair color from Sally Beauty.  It looks great!

@mac116 What products from Sally's did you use?

Also can anyone comment on what is ammonia free?  What I mean by that is most hair salon's products ammonia free?  At the drug store yesterday I saw some saying this.

Thanks to anyone for helping me understand! 

Respected Contributor

I have reddish-blonde hair.  In the medicine cabinet, found a root touch-up sample in light brown and used it.  It's okay, for now.

Esteemed Contributor

The ammonia in hair color does something to the hair follicle so that it absorbs the color better, thus it lasts longer, and the residue washes out easier. The only disadvantage to the hair color with ammonia that I know of is the smell. Which is why I mentioned it, for those who hate that odor.

I didn't even realize the one I got was ammonia free till I got home and looked at the box more closely. I got it because it's semi-permanent rather than permanent (in case of a bad color match I can wash frequently till it dies down) and because the applicator made it look easier to apply.

Honored Contributor

I gave up coloring my hair 9 months ago ... best move I ever made.  I've "embraced" the gray.  

BUT - my pixie is looking really shaggy.  I'm two weeks past due for a cut.

Honored Contributor

Clairol Root Touch-Up Spray.  

I cannot color my own hair.  Box color doesn't give me enough lift and I end up with orange or very gold hair.  

Occasional Contributor

I have a little bit of Color Wow powder left, which helps. I've tried this spray on to cover roots. Doesn't work. I am entertaining the idea of coloring my hair on my own, but the last time I did it, I tried to dye my blonde hair red and it turned out to be ombre orange. Not a good look. I don't know where to begin.

Valued Contributor

My Hair Salonspa closed till May 15 - who knows....

I was due for high/low lights last week; looking very "rooty" right now!

Oh well.... Mayb scarves and headbands and a zigzag part for another 6+ weeks?!

Yikes...

Not complaining - wanting to be safe.  I heard that people who were coming to houses, etc. to do hair could be in trouble with their licesensing... Makes sense.