Honored Contributor

Re: What are people doing about their grey hair

I love my white hair and will never, ever color it.  I never went through the gray stage.  It is such a relief not to have to color my hair after decades of doing just that.  I have a pixie but right now I can't do much with it.  I can't wait to have my hair cut.  April 1st will be 15 days that we have been sequestered in the house. 

Trusted Contributor

I colored my roots this morning. I've been doing it for a few years using professional hair color from Sally Beauty.  It looks great!

Esteemed Contributor

Been changing my hair color since I was 15.  Literally every color in the book. I finally settled on blond or was it red or black?  Kids in my classroom used to peak in the door in the morning to see what color I had for the day. Heck it was my hobby.  But over time my hair became color resistant.  Did not know why.  So I went to a professional to dye my hair.  Not truthful why the color was not working.  One day I had an attack of vertigo and it was something that seemed to come at intervals.  I simply could not go back in a sink for the stylist to treat my hair.  So I just LET IT GO.  And then it became clear what was going on..... my hair was silver... totally silver and white and silver hair doesn't  take color easily.  This is to say I have silver hair, curly, healthy silver hair from the age of 35.  Loving it into my Elderly years with one compliment after another.  So  what am I doing about my grey hair.... enjoy it ... celebrate it.  

Occasional Contributor

I've been dying my med-brown hair for quite a few years and have gotten to the point where the color only lasts about 2 weeks before my grays start showing. My hair grows pretty fast, so it is a lot of maintenance just to keep the grays in my part covered.

I've decided that since I'm working from home now,  it is the perfect time to let it go au naturel. By the time l go back to work in August, it should be quite salt and peppery looking. I'm excited about ditiching the dye and working with my hair, not against it--it always wins anyway!

Honored Contributor

@Lovethedunes wrote:

I've been dying my med-brown hair for quite a few years and have gotten to the point where the color only lasts about 2 weeks before my grays start showing. My hair grows pretty fast, so it is a lot of maintenance just to keep the grays in my part covered.

I've decided that since I'm working from home now,  it is the perfect time to let it go au naturel. By the time l go back to work in August, it should be quite salt and peppery looking. I'm excited about ditiching the dye and working with my hair, not against it--it always wins anyway!

@Lovethedunes   Hey, Silver Sister. Welcome to the group! You'll love only thinking about haircut appts. and if you miss a few, oh well. Roots? Not an issue. 🤗

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Been changing my hair color since I was 15.  Literally every color in the book. I finally settled on blond or was it red or black?  Kids in my classroom used to peak in the door in the morning to see what color I had for the day. Heck it was my hobby.  But over time my hair became color resistant.  Did not know why.  So I went to a professional to dye my hair.  Not truthful why the color was not working.  One day I had an attack of vertigo and it was something that seemed to come at intervals.  I simply could not go back in a sink for the stylist to treat my hair.  So I just LET IT GO.  And then it became clear what was going on..... my hair was silver... totally silver and white and silver hair doesn't  take color easily.  This is to say I have silver hair, curly, healthy silver hair from the age of 35.  Loving it into my Elderly years with one compliment after another.  So  what am I doing about my grey hair.... enjoy it ... celebrate it.  

@bonnielu   Good for you. Silver curls rule...especially now when there'd be no choice. 

Trusted Contributor

@Mitchell wrote:

I was wondering what other people are doing to cover their grey hair being that the salons are closed most places. I have now found out that the salon that I go to will be closed for April, so I need to find an alternative. I am scared to color my own hair.

Thanks

You could always buy a wig or a cute hat - QVC has both.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I have four wigs I never worn that is my hair style and the color is better than mine that I get colored at the salon.  So I wanted to see how I would look with white hair, but not long hair.

I,m going on 4weeks cut short.v next week was my five week cut and color, but it looks good right now.  I could go seven and eight and use color foot touch up or try letting it go white.  Day by day.

Respected Contributor

@Mitchell Go au-natural!  DH went naturally grey in his 30s and looks much better than he did in his 20s!  I'm 60 and just starting to grey.  I have light brown hair so it makes my hair appear thicker with highlights.  Embrace your beauty!

Honored Contributor

Smile, Ladies. Nancy Hornbeck was riding the bike this morning proudly sporting grey roots in front. Go Nancy!!