Honored Contributor

What To Tell My Hair Stylist

I get my hair cut in a salon, I do like the woman that does my hair, she wants to please me, but she hasn't gotten it quite right yet. That may be my fault, I brought a picture once, it didn't come out like the photo. I have medium length hair, the front reaches my collarbone. I have layers, but I want to see the definition of the layers. Do I tell her I want more layers, shorter layers, or have my hair cut at more of an angle? I don't know the proper terminology for what I want, I don't want to say the wrong thing.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What To Tell My Hair Stylist

Maybe see if you have more photos to show her.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

Go into "wigs" on line, and find a picture with the description of the hair measurements.  I did that.  Discuss the parts of the hair and where you want each layer.  It's worth it, to make you both happy.  

Honored Contributor

@cactusgal  none of those haircuts are right for me. My hair is a little shorter, the layers look long, I don't like bangs. Thanks for the pictures though.

Esteemed Contributor

I am going through the same thing with my newer stylist....i have only been to her about 5 times....BUT i keep trying to explain how i want my hair done and brought a pic of the way my hair used to be in the style i wanted...it wasn't the greatest picture........but i want my hair layered shorter all over and she has done some layering...but not exactly what i want..............she is VERY nice and TRIES very hard to please me......she does great highlights and i would love to stay with her...but its gotta change soon................

Honored Contributor

I think your best bet to relay what you want to the hairdresser, is a picture. If you have the type of hair that the model in the picture has, your hairdresser should be able to get you close to that exact style. I know my hairdresser would be honest with me and tell me if I didn't have the hair for a style I wanted.

Respected Contributor

I'm afraid I don't know what you're trying to describe, either. 

I would bring another picture of exactly what you want and discuss the picture with her. Tell her where you think you want each layer to be and ask her if she thinks that will work and how she would do it.

Super Contributor

Jordan2: I tried a new hair stylist for a year of visits. Each time I had to repeat what I wanted and show pictures of what I wanted. Each time he never "got it". Some stylists only take their craft so far and don't keep learning & improving. I wanted long layers. He was great with "bobs".

I asked my stylist to suggest someone in the salon who could do what I wanted. Best to be honest as I didn't want to play games. Now, I'm happy with his suggestion. Have run into him and have said 'hi'. He seems uneasy, I don't. Best to you.

Respected Contributor

Get a new stylist.  I went through this with a stylist and she never improved.  She ruined my hair systematically over the course of a year. I blame myself for trusting she would improve.  Some stylists just won't listen and take direction from the customer.