Contributor

Re: What To Tell My Hair Stylist

i had this exact problem.  It took many stylists and a couple of decades to find someone who could do what I was describing.  

I wanted a shoulder length style that is layered all over.  Once upon a time this cut was called a shag.  Cutting that many layers well requires a good bit of training and precision.  As the very layered cuts became less popular they were not taught as much.  In recent years when I requested layers/bangs with layers/more layers in the middle, no matter what I said I got a “lob,” which is a long, straight bob with a little layering at the ends.

Finally I found a stylist old enough to have trained in the Vidal Sassoon precision haircut tradition.  Voila!  Perfect cut for my wavy, mind of its own hair.

Best wishes.

Esteemed Contributor

A good place to check hairstyles is Pinterest.  Search Medium length hair with defined layers and see if there are any pics of what you like.  It may just be that you need to use some sort of texturizing cream or something in your hair to define them.   I have layers and texturizing galore, but if I don't use some product to define them, you would never know.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I get my hair cut in a salon, I do like the woman that does my hair, she wants to please me, but she hasn't gotten it quite right yet. That may be my fault, I brought a picture once, it didn't come out like the photo. I have medium length hair, the front reaches my collarbone. I have layers, but I want to see the definition of the layers. Do I tell her I want more layers, shorter layers, or have my hair cut at more of an angle? I don't know the proper terminology for what I want, I don't want to say the wrong thing.

@Jordan2   I'm not big on adding mousse, gel, spray, and texturizing products. Many of these photos are pro styled w/ many products. That could be the difference, as well as your hair may not be the same thickness or texture as the photo. The picture should be a guide for the stylist and she should adapt it to your hair type so you can style w/o much effort. Ask her if your hair can be cut/styled like the photo or is yours is a different texture or thickness. 

Honored Contributor

Many times a soft flocker (Nick Chavez) is needed to define & bring out the layers. If too many layers are added through the hair, the end can appear thin and wispy because too much weight has been removed. 

Trusted Contributor

Pin on Farrah fawcett

Like this? Your hair needs to be textured and layered. 

Honored Contributor

Okay, so could someone tell me the difference between feathering and layers? Is feathering kind of passe?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Feathering and layering go hand in hand, they work together.... Take new pictures in next time you go. 

Feathering is a term used for finely textured layering