Contributor

Re: What To Tell My Hair Stylist

@Jordan2 when you say that you want to see the definition of the layers, do you mean that you want to see the layers rather than them blending in and your hair looking like it is all one length? I have thick hair and am having the same issue with the person I go to.

Honored Contributor

@luvluvluv wrote:

@Jordan2 when you say that you want to see the definition of the layers, do you mean that you want to see the layers rather than them blending in and your hair looking like it is all one length? I have thick hair and am having the same issue with the person I go to.

@luvluvluv I like the look of brushing the hair on the side of your head and seeing all the layers. I like it to sometimes be piecey with the use of the right hair product. I really like the woman who does my hair, she is very personable, she listens, and really wants to please me. I really don't know where I would go if I left the salon.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2  Get more pictures.  If she can 't get it close to the picture then get a new stylist.  It's a real joke today.  Almost all the salons in the suburbs of Chicago charge $50 & up with an average of $60 & $65.  Are stylists worth that price?  I say no.  It's just inflation and we are stuck paying for it.  I am sure that in Chicago they are charging $75 & up.

kindness is strength
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I think you are speaking of feathered layers.

Image result for feathered hairstyles to collarbone

Honored Contributor

I've actually sketched what I want in a style, and layers are easy to illustrate. 

I've never taken a picture in--only for color (it's unique).

Valued Contributor

Sounds like maybe you want textured and/or  graduated layers? I ask for long slightly angled layers that start at collarbone  in a  slightly graduated way so i can wear them toward my face or angled away if I want. Texturizing removes the bulk ,  gives the layers volume and definition. Definitely the more photos you can bring the better. If after a few times I would consider trying someone new. I did That after a few years of trying because I liked my stylist. But my new one makes my layers just fall into place I'm very happy. 

Honored Contributor

Well if you can't describe it, how can she know what you want? Look up some of the terms provided by other posters. Do you want feathered layers for example?

Valued Contributor

@Jordan2  Is this kind of what you mean by seeing the definition of the layers? when you brush your hair to the side? Where the layers almost seem to have a space in between? If so then it's called texturizing the layers. At least where I go it is so the layers have movement whatever the length 

20200207_190433.jpg

Honored Contributor

My suggestion is to tell her you want visible definition of your layers.   

Even when the stylist cuts the hair exactly as you requested, specific hair properties determine whether it will lay exactly as you want, in order to see those defined layers.   

Super Contributor

$50 & up? I pay $140, without the 20% tip.That's not the highest paid stylist at my salon.

Big expensive, west coast city.