Honored Contributor

Re: What To Do With An Overwhelming Fragrance

@justashopper wrote:

I would find a way to politely or anonymously let the person know.  It's unfair for you or anyone to suffer headaches etc over perfume.

I know someone that was asked by her boss to chill on the perfume.  And this girl was definitely offended.  And took the stance, why should I not wear perfume I like because it bothers her???

I found that response almost as offensive as her stinky perfume.  Sufficed to say, I stay away from this person.  I don't know which stinks worse-- her perfume or attitude. 

LOL

But it's ok for you to demand that someone conform for your personal comfort 🤦‍♀️.  Her perfume may be stinky, but your attitude is selfish.  Someone may not like something about you, how you smell, something you wear, something in your lunch looks or smells offensive, etc. Should they demand you to change for their comfort and preferences?  In an office situation, it may come down to a "no perfume" rule that applies to everyone rather than unfairly singling out certain individuals..  

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch you said exactly what I was thinking. Bravo! I am not bothered by others' fragrance-wearing, but I am annoyed at peoples' comments about not liking it when they smell others wearing fragrance and they just assume that their preference about another should force change on another. If you don't like smelling someone's fragrance, just quietly move yourself. End of story. 

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

I don't appreciate the way you wrote to me with a personal attack on my attitude.  You don't know me.  You don't know my attitude.   

Never said demand. 

When you are forced to share space and can't get away from a person, the right thing to do, the polite thing to do, is to talk about it and find a compromise.    

It's not selfish.  Both people have an equal right to their comfort.  

It's letting a person know they are impacting your comfort.  They may not know it bothers anyone.

I personally would not want to cause a person to have a headache.  And I would want to know.  

I am responding to you respectfully and for the last time.  Do not direct your responses to me.  I do not wish to engage with you further.  

Honored Contributor

🙄 😆🤦‍♀️

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 

Your comment about folks ( men included ) who wear too much fragrance:

the nose loses awareness of the scent.  If I have been making my huge batch of marinara sauce, I cannot smell it cooking after the first 10-15 minutes.  When I add the seasonings, I still can't smell it....so, I use a generous hand.

If DH wants it for dinner that night, I really can't taste it either.  However, next AM when it has cooled over night, the fragrance jumps out of the pot !  That's when I know it is really good.

I would bet that folks who wear the same fragrance are scent-deaf.  The olfactory nerve is probably immune to the scent.  Hence, the over bearing smell.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

The thing is they want to smell it on themselves and are spraying it everywhere.  When I worked at a fragrance counter part time, I did not wear any fragrance.  i was so sick of smelling all the different ones.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Years ago I worked with a young lady who wore a nice perfume, you could smell it but it wasn't offensive, however every day after lunch she would sit at her desk, and reapply it right in the office in front of everyone, well one of the ladies starting coughing and asked her very nicely, if she could go into the ladies room and reapply and that was the end of it.

Sometimes it just takes asking someone very nicely and they will oblige. I think sometimes people just don't realize what they are doing, and like I said this perfume wasn't overpowering, but it was if you were sensitive and someone was applying two feet away from you! So maybe just ask nicely and see what happens!

Honored Contributor

I gueas the strong perfume is better than someone with BO (body odor) which is another big problem. I hold my breath at times when I'm with someone with BO. I always wonder, they don't smell it themselves or live with a family member who can tell them they smell?

Honored Contributor

There is a big difference between not liking what someone is wearing and having an allergic reaction to perfume.

I come across a lot of people who wear perfumes that I do not care for.  There are people who wear strong deodorants that are way too much and I work with someone who uses a fabric softener I can smell on his clothes and I don't like.  I wouldn never say a word about that because that's a matter of individual preferences.

If I had allergies or asthma and was suffering daily because of someone's fragrance, I most definitely would approach my boss and say something about it.   If I was causing someone to have an asthma attack, migraine, etc., I would want something said to me.      

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is one advantage to perfume oils...they are all that I wear now. The stay close to your body. I tons of them and consider myself somewhat of a connoisseur. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland