Honored Contributor

What Product Works to Keep the Shine off Oily Skin?

Do you know of any product that really works in the summer to help oily skin keep makeup on?  I am old but have an oily face.

Honored Contributor

Re: What Product Works to Keep the Shine off Oily Skin?

I'm sure you've seen it mentioned before but I'll expound on the virtues again:

RCMA No color powder! rcma no color powder.jpg

3 ozs for $12.00! My daughter is oily and I gave her a bottle. She loves it. I use it to mattify. The bottle lasts for YEARS! Check out the 564 reviews on Beautylish

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sounds like you need to use an oil-control primer or setting spray. Also blotting paper will help keep your face from shine without having to add anything...just blot the oil from your face. There are several oil-control setting sprays on the market. Urban Decay De-Slick is a top rated one on Ulta. Setting sprays will help keep your makeup fresh looking longer. Primers will help it stay even longer and when used with a setting spray you will be set.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Sounds like you need to use an oil-control primer or setting spray. Also blotting paper will help keep your face from shine without having to add anything...just blot the oil from your face. There are several oil-control setting sprays on the market. Urban Decay De-Slick is a top rated one on Ulta. Setting sprays will help keep your makeup fresh looking longer. Primers will help it stay even longer and when used with a setting spray you will be set.Woman Happy

@SilleeMee

I have tried a lot of products and didn't find one I really cared for, and haven't found those oil blotting things to work for me either.  I'd LOVE to find a solution!  Thanks for the suggestions.

Frequent Contributor

I have very oily skin and also mature. To say I own a lot of makeup would be an understatement. I think all the recommendations are great but ultimately it is trial and error. Buy from stores that accept returns for used makeup.

In my opinion, there simply is not one answer or product or combination of products for those of us who drip oil out of our pores. The only thing reliable for me is blotting papers. Probably not the answer you wanted to hear. 

Add a bit of Marc Jacobs Remarcable foundation to your current foundation. It is very matte and very pigmented. 

Use shadow primer on your nose but only a very thin layer. 

Press your setting powder into your skin with a velveteen puff or dense powder brush.

If you use a setting spray, drench your face. Maybe not dripping wet but give it quite a few spritzes. 

Use great, moisturizing skin care at night. Use as little as possible during the day.

In my opinion, high spf physical sunscreens rather than chemical but that really is YMMV. 

Trusted Contributor

Paula's Choice:  SHINE STOPPER Instant Matte Finish with MICROSPONGE® Technology
This oil-control primer gives you a silky, powder-like finish that controls oil, minimizes the appearance of pores, and wears beautifully, by itself or under makeup all day long.
Enlarged Pores
Normal to Oily Skin; Combination Skin
Unique MICROSPONGE® Technology controls shine
Can be worn alone or under makeup
Dab on during the day to keep oil under control for hours

Sign up for emails and you will receive coupons for free shipping, 3 free samples & 20% off.  Product guaranteed for 60 days.  I've been using her products since 1995.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner,    There is a pale baby blue powder by Estee Edit that removes the shine and brightens the skin.  It's on sale for $22.40 on Estee Lauder.com under Estee Edit.  Read the reviews as women who have oily skin praise this product.  Free shpg.  I bought it for the brightening factor.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Sooner,    There is a pale baby blue powder by Estee Edit that removes the shine and brightens the skin.  It's on sale for $22.40 on Estee Lauder.com under Estee Edit.  Read the reviews as women who have oily skin praise this product.  Free shpg.  I bought it for the brightening factor.

@Katcat1   THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!   Did I say "thank you?"  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

Count me in on the Paula's Choice Shine Stopper, I use it in the T Zone under makeup.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner,   You are very welcome.  I hope you really like it if you purchase.

kindness is strength