Honored Contributor

Re: What OTC Retinol product do you notice the most improvements with?

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Mothertrucker wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

I bought Consult Beauty, not tried it yet, their Regenerol serum concentrate is 3%, highest % I have seen OTC. Lots of Mom and Pop brands, many organic ingredients on ebay are 2.5 %.  I tried PTR, did noting for my skin. sadly, neither did PC or Mad Hippie. 

I hve also been using Consult, but couldnt find anywhere what % it was, its not on their website nor on the package- I just ordered the Skin Medica 1% so i hope I am not moving BACKWARD!

Honestly, if the amount of an active ingredient isn't given then that would make me not want to buy it. That should be a red flag as far as how much of it is really in there. I think you did really good with buying the Skinmedica. Woman Happy@Mothertrucker 

Dr Dubrow has made it very clear on the air that the serum has 3%, the cream has 1% and the pads have a trace amount of retinol. He has said it many times. so no hidden agendas here. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shelbelle wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Mothertrucker wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

I bought Consult Beauty, not tried it yet, their Regenerol serum concentrate is 3%, highest % I have seen OTC. Lots of Mom and Pop brands, many organic ingredients on ebay are 2.5 %.  I tried PTR, did noting for my skin. sadly, neither did PC or Mad Hippie. 

I hve also been using Consult, but couldnt find anywhere what % it was, its not on their website nor on the package- I just ordered the Skin Medica 1% so i hope I am not moving BACKWARD!

Honestly, if the amount of an active ingredient isn't given then that would make me not want to buy it. That should be a red flag as far as how much of it is really in there. I think you did really good with buying the Skinmedica. Woman Happy@Mothertrucker 

Dr Dubrow has made it very clear on the air that the serum has 3%, the cream has 1% and the pads have a trace amount of retinol. He has said it many times. so no hidden agendas here. 

I was pretty sure I remembered him saying that it had the highest possible amount that was allowed..That is why I bought it. But when I went back to look online and when I checked out the bottle, there were no percentages listed. So thanks for that, I appreciate it..I will let you all know how it compares to Skin Medica...

Trusted Contributor

I'm a Neutrogena Retinol user and believer.

Valued Contributor

The Ordinary Retinol gets really good reviews.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

UPDATE:

OK I used   the Consult retinol which is puported to be 3%..I liked the results, nothing dramatic- but it IS OTC, I guess I didnt expect too much-I used Retin A for may years, but lost my source for it about 5 years ago, and have been looking for soemthing OTC- I thought this was it

THEN I bought the Skin Medica 1%- Dramatic difference!! After only a week or so, my skin is doing what Retinol should do now, slight peeling and turning over new skin like the Retin A does  (in the beginning)! A huge  difference! I cant wait to see the results after a month

I now find it very hard to believe that the Consult  has 3 times more retinol than this product does..Perhaps they have a different way of "measuring " the %?

Honored Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

UPDATE:

OK I used   the Consult retinol which is puported to be 3%..I liked the results, nothing dramatic- but it IS OTC, I guess I didnt expect too much-I used Retin A for may years, but lost my source for it about 5 years ago, and have been looking for soemthing OTC- I thought this was it

THEN I bought the Skin Medica 1%- Dramatic difference!! After only a week or so, my skin is doing what Retinol should do now, slight peeling and turning over new skin like the Retin A does  (in the beginning)! A huge  difference! I cant wait to see the results after a month

I now find it very hard to believe that the Consult  has 3 times more retinol than this product does..Perhaps they have a different way of "measuring " the %?

The Consult retinol is not encapsulated and I believe the bottle it comes in is not airless. That can make a big difference. @Mothertrucker 

Honored Contributor

Consult is definitely encapsulated, that is how Dr Dubrow explains it can be as high as 3% and not be irritating the skin. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Consult is definitely encapsulated, that is how Dr Dubrow explains it can be as high as 3% and not be irritating the skin. 

@Shelbelle 

Why does it not say it's encapsulated on the ingredient listing on SHQ's website? That's what I go by because I never watch the presentations.

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle  There is something not right here...I have used both and there is no comparison...

I like Consult, and use a lot of their products..as an aside, Paul Nassif was one of my med students at USC, though I know he is not affiliated with Consult..... but imagine if someone  gave you a glass of lemon juice and then a glass of lemonade and tried to tell you they had the same amount of sugar in them. You just know that it’s not the case... My skin is telling me there is a big difference....

Trusted Contributor

If anyone wants to use a natural retinol with no sensitivity, I would encourage you to try any product w/Bakuchiol. I don't want to use retinol coz I burn easily & then the stubborn sun spots make a surprise appearance.

I use the Isomers night time super skin serum. There is no dramatic overnight transformation. Its gradual. I thought it didn't do much until I switched to twice daily about 2 weeks ago. It definitely made a huge difference. Full disclosure, I also have been using skinn dermappeal & active argan 5 min mask more regularly.