Honored Contributor

Re: What OTC Retinol product do you notice the most improvements with?

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee   The encapsulated version is to buffer the retinol? For people who react to full strength Retin A?

@Shanus 

There's no 'buffering'. Encapsuated means that the retinol molecules have been enveloped within a liposome and this will not only protect the retinol from air as it is applied to the skin. Once applied, the encapsulation slowly releases the retinol over time instead of all at once which can lead to some irritation. Encapsulation does not make it any less potent but actually does the opposite because of how it's released and used in the skin. Retinoids usually irritate the skin because it is not being accepted by the skin's retinoid receptors and so the retinoid itself becomes an irritant rather than a treatment. An example of this is when you apply retinol to your neck area...that neck skin does not have as many retinoid receptors in it, naturally, and so many people experience a lot of irritation there when using retinol on their necks. 

@SilleeMee   Thanks for clarifying. I guess I've used RX Retin A from my derm for so many decades, I haven't had issues applying to neck. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

My neck, too. Retin-A helps keep the fibroblasts active...more so than any other retinoid can do.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus 

My neck, too. Retin-A helps keep the fibroblasts active...more so than any other retinoid can do.

I have never used retinoid but I cannot use retinol on my neck, it get red and blotchy and doesn't go away for over 24 hours!

Trusted Contributor

I use Paula's Choice retinol.  It doesn't cause my skin to redden.  I've been using her products since 1995.  Not all of them, but her core products (AHA, BHA, serums etc.)  I have purchased some of her recommendations at Beautypedia (drugstore brands)j.  I'm going to try The Ordinary C serum next.  Hers is too expensive for my pocketbook.  

Trusted Contributor

I use Paula's Choice and really love it.  I've been  using it for about 2 months and notice that my skin looks great, even though I have always had good skin and no skin issues.  The smile lines around the corners of my eyes appear smaller.  I am very happy with all of PC's products. 

Respected Contributor

@LuvmyLab wrote:

I use Paula's Choice and really love it.  I've been  using it for about 2 months and notice that my skin looks great, even though I have always had good skin and no skin issues.  The smile lines around the corners of my eyes appear smaller.  I am very happy with all of PC's products. 

Since I am having issues with vitamin C products I can't use her Clinical because it has Vit C in it, I wish I could

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I've tried many retinols and really couldn't tell if they were helpful. I did like Consult Beaute Regenorol, I think my skin looked good. But I always go back to Skinmedica 1% Retinol Complex. This stuff really works, and sometimes makes my face a bit flaky, which I just exfoliate in the morning. I always see a difference when I use this...my face is luminous and has a glowy look. I usually buy from Ebay at a much lower price and has always been fresh, and as I said, it works! There are lower strengths available also. I always see a difference when I use Skinmedica 1%.
Respected Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:
I've tried many retinols and really couldn't tell if they were helpful. I did like Consult Beaute Regenorol, I think my skin looked good. But I always go back to Skinmedica 1% Retinol Complex. This stuff really works, and sometimes makes my face a bit flaky, which I just exfoliate in the morning. I always see a difference when I use this...my face is luminous and has a glowy look. I usually buy from Ebay at a much lower price and has always been fresh, and as I said, it works! There are lower strengths available also. I always see a difference when I use Skinmedica 1%.

Since I have used retinols in the past can I start at the 1% or should I start lower? Would love to give it a try, I have heard good things about this brand.

Respected Contributor

I would definitely go with the 1 %...I believe it's more bang for the buck$...I just skip nights when I get flaky...let my skin repair, and use No7 Restore n Renew on those off nights.  You will surely see a difference with SkinMedica...I hope you love it!🙂

Esteemed Contributor

@sligo- to clarify, my derm didn't recommend Amara.  She recommended ROC.  I found AmaraBeauty by accident and I like most of their products.   I am not an expert - far from it! - and can only speak to my own experience.   If anyone is a newcomer to Retinol, they should probably start with a low-dose product like Alpha Hydrox (@Harpa).  I used the Alpha for many years before I started experimenting with higher percentages of Retinol.  Back then, the Alpha was the only Retinol I could use that did not cause my complexion to burn or peel.  It was my experience that we should ease into Retinol.

Just thought I'd throw that out there..........

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt