Honored Contributor

Re: What OTC Retinol product do you notice the most improvements with?

@sligo wrote:

@SilleeMee, Mai I ask a product with encapulated retinol?I . I am willing to pay a higher ( if necessary) price. In the end you get what you pay for. I am interested in a good percent of retinol in the product to purchase. Forgive my rambling. Trying to get over this rotten flu. Appreciate your help. Sincerely

@sligo 

SKINMEDICA RETINOL COMPLEX.  It comes in two strengths and contains encapsulated retinol. The website Skinmedix dot com has the lowest price for this and everything ships free, no minimum.

Another brand, although not encapsulated, is Paula's Choice Clinical 1% Retinol.

Esteemed Contributor

Improvements from using any Retinol happen over a looooong period of time.  Find one that your skin likes and use it consistently.  Don't expect miracles in a few weeks.

I currently use a Retinol cream by Amara Beauty.  They have a website that sells various skin care products.  They also have a Retinol serum.  The Amara cream comes in an airless pump - 2.5% Retinol with Hyaluronic Acid and Vit E & B5.   I don't need a separate nighttime moisturizer with it.   One and done.

That said, my derm told me that ROC Retinol in the tube is the 'best Retinol out there.'   She also told me that retinol is retinol is retinol - you don't need to buy an expensive high-end product to get good retinol.  I used ROC for a couple years, but like the Amara better for me.

Good luck!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

I've been happy with .15% Alpha. I like/prefer/don't-need-anything-higher-than a low dose, but found that Neutrogena or RoC did not measure up.

Admitedly, the retinol is only a part of the equation, though.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sligo  BioBare Skin Revivify Encapsulated 0.50 Retinol Cream.  It can only be purchased online.  I ordered another jar yesterday from Amazon and there were only a few left.  Apparently it sells out quickly.  

Respected Contributor

After using many other more expensive lines all my adult life I've been usig ROC products for a few years - love them.  After using ROC retinol serum I started using this - I'm on my second jar.  I LOVE this product. I buy it from Amazon.  Neutrogena did nothing for me.

RoC Retinol Correxion Max Daily Hydration Anti-Aging Crème for 24-Hour Deep Hydration, Advanced Anti-Wrinkle Moisturizer Made with Retinol & Hyaluronic Acid, 1.7 oz

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee, Thank you for your sincere help. I have purchased fromSkinmedix. Great service. A sincere THANK YOU.

Trusted Contributor

@tototwo. Thank you. I am going to try Amara Beauty. It is a new site for me. I'm sure your Dr. recommends a great product. it is inexpensive and does work well. Many sincere thanks.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

When I was in the process of looking for a retinol, I wanted to get one that actually contained active retinoid. It's important to look for one in a container that protects the retinol from light and air...those elements deactivate retinol and very quickly.  Also look for for encapsulated retinol...that is a more stable form retinol. Many times a good retinol product will cost you more because of the packaging it comes in and adds to the cost so it keeps the active ingredient stable for longer. By the time you get to the bottom of the container of a good retinol product, what you use will most likely be active. So the higher price truly does pay off in that case.

Bottom line,don't buy retinol in a jar or clear or lightly tinted (blue or green) container. Get one in an opaque airless pump type container.

@SilleeMee   The encapsulated version is to buffer the retinol? For people who react to full strength Retin A?

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

When I was in the process of looking for a retinol, I wanted to get one that actually contained active retinoid. It's important to look for one in a container that protects the retinol from light and air...those elements deactivate retinol and very quickly.  Also look for for encapsulated retinol...that is a more stable form retinol. Many times a good retinol product will cost you more because of the packaging it comes in and adds to the cost so it keeps the active ingredient stable for longer. By the time you get to the bottom of the container of a good retinol product, what you use will most likely be active. So the higher price truly does pay off in that case.

Bottom line,don't buy retinol in a jar or clear or lightly tinted (blue or green) container. Get one in an opaque airless pump type container.

@SilleeMee   The encapsulated version is to buffer the retinol? For people who react to full strength Retin A?

@Shanus  Good question.

Thank you every who has replied, I have some homework to do for sure!! I just want to find one and just stick with it so this info. is all very helpful to me!!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus 

There's no 'buffering'. Encapsuated means that the retinol molecules have been enveloped within a liposome and this will not only protect the retinol from air as it is applied to the skin. Once applied, the encapsulation slowly releases the retinol over time instead of all at once which can lead to some irritation. Encapsulation does not make it any less potent but actually does the opposite because of how it's released and used in the skin. Retinoids usually irritate the skin because it is not being accepted by the skin's retinoid receptors and so the retinoid itself becomes an irritant rather than a treatment. An example of this is when you apply retinol to your neck area...that neck skin does not have as many retinoid receptors in it, naturally, and so many people experience a lot of irritation there when using retinol on their necks.