Honored Contributor

Re: What Kind of Exfoliating Product Do You Use?

On 3/15/2015 _Not an easy sale said:
On 3/15/2015 happygal said:

Before you buy anything, try baking soda mixed with whatever cleanser you use. It works well for me, very gentle.

.......thank you happygal,

I have heard of this! It was last summer and I do remember that over ten women used baking soda at least twice a week, for years. Someone mentioned powdered aspirin (for inflammation) but I would never recommend any form of asprin until they knew [it] to be safe; the body absorbs many ingredients, and I include countless parabens. I've not tried soda. Thank you for the reminder. I stay away from anything course that could break down the skin's surface. Soda: the same principle-or close.
My skin is very normal and quite (Ph) balanced. No taking chances here. _Naes

IWould not recommend baking soda for facial skin. Please read about this from legitimate sources before doing it. Even my derm says not to do this!
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/15/2015 cassiem said:

I have really sensitive skin and my new favorite is AmorePacific enzyme peel. It's a fine powder with enzymes, but very gentle, no burning or stinging.

Enzymes are actually very good! I have used (those) before- five years ago. That product was discontinued, so I know zero about AmorePacific's peel's enzymes. I really appreciate this source. Any particular .com website? I assume you have very sensitive skin?

Honored Contributor

On 3/15/2015 betteb said:
On 3/15/2015 duclane said:

St. Ives Apricot Scrub- for face and body found at drug stores and supermarkets etc. It's great. Love their body lotions too.

Not trying to tell you what to like, but I have heard more than once not to use anything with ground seeds or shells on your face. They are too sharp and cause micro cuts on the skin surface. This product has ground walnut shells.

ITA. If I were to use a scrub, I'd want with a very smooth and gentle exfoliating ingredient.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

On 3/15/2015 HappyDaze said:
On 3/15/2015 _Not an easy sale said:
On 3/15/2015 happygal said:

Before you buy anything, try baking soda mixed with whatever cleanser you use. It works well for me, very gentle.

.......thank you happygal,

I have heard of this! It was last summer and I do remember that over ten women used baking soda at least twice a week, for years. Someone mentioned powdered aspirin (for inflammation) but I would never recommend any form of asprin until they knew [it] to be safe; the body absorbs many ingredients, and I include countless parabens. I've not tried soda. Thank you for the reminder. I stay away from anything course that could break down the skin's surface. Soda: the same principle-or close.
My skin is very normal and quite (Ph) balanced. No taking chances here. _Naes

IWould not recommend baking soda for facial skin. Please read about this from legitimate sources before doing it. Even my derm says not to do this!

So true! I think there was a thread about this not long ago. Baking soda has a very high alkaline PH.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/15/2015 suzyQ3 said:
On 3/15/2015 betteb said:
On 3/15/2015 duclane said:

St. Ives Apricot Scrub- for face and body found at drug stores and supermarkets etc. It's great. Love their body lotions too.

Not trying to tell you what to like, but I have heard more than once not to use anything with ground seeds or shells on your face. They are too sharp and cause micro cuts on the skin surface. This product has ground walnut shells.

ITA. If I were to use a scrub, I'd want with a very smooth and gentle exfoliating ingredient.

Absolutely......GENTLE. Since I do a lot of research (food /meds), I bought a product for exfoliating at one high end store's beauty counter, to study, only to learn that -yes- the contents were ground walnuts. I wrote a letter to the company about the possible damage. They wrote back saying they had no knowledge about the daily usage damage. That product is no longer sold, the business is no longer in any store within the USA. This was a very well known cosmetic line. Pricey, also. This was over 10 years ago.

Honored Contributor

I use a few different things and also believe in employing both physical and chemical exfoliation regularly. In the AM, most mornings I first cleanse with a gentle cleanser and my Foreo Luna Mini. Before I rinse, I'll mix some Eminence Strawberry Rhubarb Dermafoliant and water in my hand and massage that around by hand. Some days I'll do the cleansing part but then use Skinn DermAppeal, Serious Skin Care Glycolic Gommage, or Serious Skin Care Glycolic Peel. At night, after oil cleansing with my Foreo Mini, I'll use either Mad Hippie Exfoliating Serum (10% AHA) or Skinn Translucent Resurfacing Concentrate most of the time, but a couple of nights a week I'll use prescription Retin-A. Once a week (either Saturday or Sunday) I'll do a Skinn Collagenesis DWP ABC Peel (love that stuff).

Valued Contributor

I use ReVive's Glycolic Peel twice a week on my skin. It's the only non-Isomers product I use.

It' a two-part peel: First you swipe a disc over your face to prep the skin then you apply the glycolic acid and let it sit for 5 minutes, rinse with cool water. I have to say it is without a doubt the BEST PEEL I have ever had, including spas and derm visits. My skin just glows.

Super Contributor

Gommage, Pumpkin, C scrub. All by SSC. I purchased because of reviews and the description

of the ingredients. The Gommage is the one I use the most. It's the best exfoliator I've used.

Don't know how I forgot, but Dr. Denese Exfoliating Pads.

Super Contributor

I switch off between several different ones. Exfolikate is wonderful and I use it once a week in the shower. I also use Peter Thomas Roth Un-wrinkle Peel Pads once a week and I just purchased his Firmx Peeling Gel Exfoliant which I use once a week. So, I'm actually exfoliating 3 times a week but all are gentle and I have no irritation whatsoever. I also use Peter Thomas Roth PM Retinol Serum every single night. I really love all his products and they are reasonably priced. I think it's really important to use some type of retinol serum daily. It's made such a big difference in my skin and I'm 62. Most people guess my age at around 50, so I know it's working!! Reva

Respected Contributor

Dr Dennis Gross alpha/beta peel pads (1-2x/week), Fleur des lis exfoliating powder PRN, Paula's Choice anti-redness exfoliating solution (3-4x/wk in am)