Trusted Contributor

What I've learned about me and Foundation

I never wore foundation because I was scared of looking like I had a mask on . But after watching Youtube videos and seeing that many of these girls look great with it on, I decided to dabble into it. And dabble I did. Brushes, sponges, matte finish, water-based, etc I tried it all. I will always want my foundation to have a skin-like finish. You may think that so does everyone else but actually there are women who really want that flawless look even if it is obvious that they are wearing foundation. Not me. I've realized that the foundations that give me the most natural look are the ones that I can get a beautiful finish with my FINGERS. If I need a brush to really buff it on a wet sponge to get rid of streaks, then that foundation is probably not gonna give me the most natural look. Now, some women may like sponges and brushes because they don't want to get their hands dirty with makeup. That is an entirely different thing.

So the foundations I am loving now because I can use my fingers and get a skin-like look are:

Mac Face and Body

Loreal True Match

La Girl BB Cream

Illuminare Fantastic Finish Foundation

I like CG Ready Set Gorgeous but I do need a brush with that one.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Respected Contributor

Re: What I've learned about me and Foundation

@JBKO I'm with you on the more "natural" skin-like look. I'm 61, and gave up on concealers and trying to completely cover my flaws a loooonnnngggg time ago! I have a few age/sun spots on my upper cheeks, a couple of broken caps here & there, and mild dark circles under my eyes...and they are never completely covered, and I'm OK with that. They are "dimmed down" a bit, and that's enough!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The most I look for in a foundation is just to even out my skintone and something that is quick and easy to use.  Also, I dont reapply mu throughout the day so I would not want anything I would have to mess with.  I love my brushes though and love using them. 

Trusted Contributor

I've used brushes and sponges (including Beauty Blender), and I find that using my fingers has the best success in applying liquid foundation.

Honored Contributor

The most important thing is to blend the foundation no matter what method is used-- brush, sponge or fingers. I use a brush to apply liquid foundation and do see some brush lines-- this indicates to me that either my brush needs cleaning or I need to blend the liquid. A little foundation goes a long way-- if you use a lot of foundation, its going to not give that 'natural skin' look. Just my personal experience.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

I like a natural look with simple application. I ditched the 20 somethings on youtube who babble on endlessly about themselves.

That said, I usually use EL liquids applied with fingers  but wandered over to the Lancome counter.

After feeling like I was testing paint samples in Sherwin Williams when the SA was done, I was horrified. She managed to age me by a decade in less than 10 minutes. Must apply with brush, buff, buff into those wrinkles and then apply even more foundation.

Honored Contributor

I use my fingers too and I'm often asked IF I'm wearing foundation!

Honored Contributor

I can't get the hang of brushes, sponges, etc.  I have tried but it always looks a mess and I feel like I have no control!

I would love to have a foundation that covers everything --- broken caps, uneven skin tone and a few small dark spots --  and not look like I'm wearing a mask.  But is that possible?  At my age, I don't think it is.  I don't really have deep wrinkles, but a few small lines -- around the normal places, between the brows, around the lips, etc.  So, if I am heavy-handed or the product is heavy, this really accentuates these things which I do not want to show off!

I have to be satisifed, I guess, with just smoothing out a little and camouflaging a bit.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin