Honored Contributor

Re: What Do You Do To Save Your Manicure?

@ECBG wrote:

@beach-mom 

I LOVE, love OPI colors.  My fall-winter color is "Bogota Blackberry" and my spring-summer color is "I'm Not Really A Waitress".  

@ECBG - I'm a creature of habit too! October is usually Chocolate Moose month. Jacques is different for me. I don't have Bogota. I'll have to look for that. Essie's Wicked is my standard late October. In November I'll switch to wine colors.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

While I have always had salon manicures I started to do my own this past summer and I have to say, I'm not great at it but it's working out okay and I am improving a bit.  I bought Londontown Lakur polish, base coat and top coat on HSN and it's nice polish, goes on pretty easy and holds up well.  While I am not always doing my nails anymore, when I have on polish I always wear powder free non latex surgical gloves.  Only because I wore them my entire career and love the fit and feel of them.  

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@beach-mom 

I LOVE, love OPI colors.  My fall-winter color is "Bogota Blackberry" and my spring-summer color is "I'm Not Really A Waitress".  

@ECBG - I'm a creature of habit too! October is usually Chocolate Moose month. Jacques is different for me. I don't have Bogota. I'll have to look for that. Essie's Wicked is my standard late October. In November I'll switch to wine colors.  Smiley Happy

@beach-mom 

Bogota Blackberry is the color of a beautiful burgundy but not as dark as black honey.

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

While I have always had salon manicures I started to do my own this past summer and I have to say, I'm not great at it but it's working out okay and I am improving a bit.  I bought Londontown Lakur polish, base coat and top coat on HSN and it's nice polish, goes on pretty easy and holds up well.  While I am not always doing my nails anymore, when I have on polish I always wear powder free non latex surgical gloves.  Only because I wore them my entire career and love the fit and feel of them.  

@LindaSal   I'm always wearing the same gloves...Just started to wear them when I paint. It makes cleaning hands a lot easier on them.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom  

Just got  OPI "Jacques". Change from my pinks. Will try tonight. Hope I like it.

Honored Contributor

Re: What Dl You Do To Save Your Manicure?

I do my own.

My nails grow rather fast - I need to redo every week, and generally go over with another top coat mid-week.

I did mine last Friday night and you can see the new growth where last week's polish ended.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Zaimee wrote:

@beach-mom  

Just got  OPI "Jacques". Change from my pinks. Will try tonight. Hope I like it.

@Zaimee - It will definitely be a change from your pinks! LOL! 

I think this one is a "sleeper" color, perfect for fall, but also good at any time of the year. Maybe a strong neutral of a sort. I hope you like it !  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I do my own nails. 

I used to religously polish them with all kinds of colors.  I like OPI, Esse, china glaze and sally hansen gel polish did stay on just as well.  To keep them looking good, I would  touch up the chips as they needed them.  Keep the bottle in my bag.  It did help prolong starting over. If you do it gingerly with a light touch, it doesn't look too bad.  

Since I am no longer in the office, I like pefect gel coat.  It lasts the week and then it's one coat, no touch ups.  Colors are too much work for home.  LOL

Now, on my toes... I do colored polish and just start over when it starts lookng blah.  

Esteemed Contributor

I love Essie waltz. It isn't a stark white it's really soft and pretty. You can build a more opaque color if you want to. Seche vite is my go to fast dry top coat. 

Respected Contributor

Recently I have been using Perfect Gel Coat...has a slight pink hue to it as my base coat.  Then I use a good polish like Essie or OPI....then top coat which right now is Perfect Gel Coat top coat...it was a kit Q had on sale awhile ago.  During the week I will put on another coat of the clear top coat.  I do my nails 1 time per week and they never chip at all.  I do no touch ups. 

I always wear rubber gloves to do all dishes and cleaning which helps alot I am sure and I never use my nails to "open" things...they are not tools!  My nails are not very thick so I take care as best as I can.  

I also take supplements that have helped keep my nails much more strong and health.  But they also are good for my bones which is the #1 reason I take them.