Honored Contributor

Re: What Do The Models Do That I'm Not Doing To Get Great Coverage?

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@Shanus Thanks.  But my skin gets oily as I wear makeup, so after a couple of hours it's gone.  And so far I haven't found a primer that works and doesn't cause me to break out.

I have basically good skin but makeup is an issue.  Even my derm, who has it all, says I have super sensitive skin so it is difficult to find a balance--I'm oily or flaky!  LOL!!  In between is pretty good, if ephemeral!  And foundation is the most difficult.   Thanks for your always good advice! Woman Happy

@Sooner   It does sound difficult for you to find that balance. You say you have good skin, so why not skip foundations and just cover areas with a concealer that's not too oily or dry. I use Bobbi Brown's Foundation Stick for this. It's very lightweight, but good coverage. Afterwards, try a finely milled setting area in the oily areas. It won't crack and settle in the more dry areas.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus I can't really get away without something as a foundation because my skin is pretty pale and as you know as you age there is some unevenness--and my skin is sort of translucent to, if that's the right word--or maybe thin?  I'm no expert for sure.

The foundation stick is one of those that is too moisturizing and melts on me.  I really have to have something matte, but so many are really thick and chalky and for some reason yellowish.  

Maybe I'll try Dior again, but it's been at least 6 years since I bought that so who knows what they've done to it since then.  Also, how I react to Avobenzone more and more limits my choices.

I really appreciate your help!  So much is geared to "glow" and I have my own; hair products to moisturize and relax, and mine is straight and oily.  Why doesn't someone make a line of products for the weird?  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   Unfortunately, the cosmetic industry caters to the younger population. They usually have great skin and hair or at least close enough to purchase many of the products offered. The rest of us hunt endlessly for what will work for us. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus You are exactly right!  It was easier when I was younger and all I really needed was cover-up and something to keep the oil slick from forming!  

Now it is a texture thing--pores a little bigger, and skin color not so even and I am and always have been a hard color to match.  Oddly Asian colors sometimes have that middle color zone--pink or yellow (like old Estee Lauder) shows up immediately on me.

Trish McEvoy used to have (haven't bought in a while) good colors in lighter shades and THE best makeup artists when they came to town.  

You will like this:  I met one of their guys in two towns at a number of shows, and I think was one of his first.  I just happened to be at a store in Atlanta and they were having a show but I had no appointment.  He saw me, wandering around, grabbed me and took me to meet Trish (who gave me a weird hug) and said I'm going to take her next!  He was SO good and helpful!  I miss that!  

You know how special it is when someone looks better, and when you can relate to them and help them out--and what that does for how they feel about themselves!  You all are a blessing! 

Respected Contributor

I have worn bnb for years since it came out. I find it covers everything on my face and a couple of dark spots.

I order the fair even though I tan easlily and look more like I should wear a medium. I tried the medium once and it was too dark. The fair actually has quite a bit of dark shade powder in it.

I use the Laura Gellar primer too and love it.

I do apply a cream on my face beforehand and find it makes the powder look creamier. 

Once in awhile I will use a liquid foundation and use the powder over it but not often.

Honored Contributor

I would have to be a face primer.

Respected Contributor

I'm a "the fewer products/steps needed, the better" kind of gal.

I use the Bobbi Brown vitamin enriched face base that is moisturizer and primer all in one. I have really good results using that in conjuction with the Laura Geller powder foundations. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Shanus You are exactly right!  It was easier when I was younger and all I really needed was cover-up and something to keep the oil slick from forming!  

Now it is a texture thing--pores a little bigger, and skin color not so even and I am and always have been a hard color to match.  Oddly Asian colors sometimes have that middle color zone--pink or yellow (like old Estee Lauder) shows up immediately on me.

Trish McEvoy used to have (haven't bought in a while) good colors in lighter shades and THE best makeup artists when they came to town.  

You will like this:  I met one of their guys in two towns at a number of shows, and I think was one of his first.  I just happened to be at a store in Atlanta and they were having a show but I had no appointment.  He saw me, wandering around, grabbed me and took me to meet Trish (who gave me a weird hug) and said I'm going to take her next!  He was SO good and helpful!  I miss that!  

You know how special it is when someone looks better, and when you can relate to them and help them out--and what that does for how they feel about themselves!  You all are a blessing! 

@Sooner   That's such a great experience for you. There are some makeup lines that take extra care training their every day counter people and have special "guest" artists that are trained so well they can do "magic". I know all too well that great feeling of having a client look in the mirror and almost come to tears. It's why, at my age, I continue to have my business...it's so satisfying. I'm not bragging, honestly, but at 72 with having access to the best skincare for decades (on myself and derms I've worked for), I look at least 10 yrs. younger even with my silver hair.

I think older clients come to me because of all the young 20 yr. olds at makeup counters who know zip about the needs of a woman over 40 or 50.  They are frustrated, confused, fed up seeing a young chickie who has perfect skin and heavy makeup (not appropriate for us older ladies) and turns them off. 

If you can ever get appointments, when there is a store event, the BEST lines and traveling makeup artists are Laura Mercier, Trish McEvoy, Bobbi Brown, MAC (although  they're a little "out there" unless you tell them NO) and Charlotte Tilbury. If you notice, these lines are started and maintained by makeup artists (except Bobbi who is now gone). They train their staff to be exacting or they're not sent to the stores. 

When I started my "career", before meeting Bobbi, I was a freelance artist and sent to many stores or worked in one store like Nordstrom or Neiman's and helped women in all lines. Bobbi was making a personal appearance with her trained staff and spotted me doing a "natural look" on a customer. She invited me to lunch during a break, we talked for awhile and she asked me to come work for her and train as a Bobbi artist. I was so hesitant. She had just started her line, but I was drawn to the concept immediately and had been wearing her makeup anyway and she saw that as I was working. Very long story, but I flew to NY, left my 2 toddlers w/ DH and a great daycare nearby and was gone for a 6 week training session...flying home on weekends. It was grueling.

Afterwards, I traveled with her for her store appearances and sessions and then was one of the east coast reps for her line...again having to travel. I asked her to please, because my children were so young, narrow down my area to Raleigh, Greensboro, Charlotte and sometimes McLean, VA (NM and Nordstrom were big sellers of her brand in the malls there). She agreed and the travel wasn't bad. Then I went out on my own, seeing clients who remembered me from my travels or recommended by Bobbi customers who "had"  me during one of the appearances. The rest is history. I did keep my client list small...limited to women who were recommended by artists at the counters who knew me and friends of a friend. I didn't want complete strangers coming to the house.

Now I have 2 offices (very tiny, small ones) for skincare and makeup in DH's bldg. It works out perfectly. I only go over (a mile from the house) when there's an appt. Sometimes there are days with no clients. It's not really a job to me. I've always been an artist, so this is like painting a face. The skincare area is essential to me because I can start on a fresh canvas. 

Oh Geeez...much more than you asked about. Sorry for the story of my makeup artist life history. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus THANKS!  I love hearing your story!  You are so lucky, but your clients are maybe luckier! 

I can say that Paul when Trish opened her first store in Nordies Dallas changed my life.  I was gawking at the dispay on my way to meet hubby who had gone to the car. 

He said "Sit down!  FIVE minutes!"  He put lighter foundation on me, and gave me a natural look that was life changing.  When I went to the car (with my haul!) my husband said on the way out of town: This weekend did you so much good!  You look so refreshed! 

And he had NO idea I'd spent 5 minutes in the chair at the Trish counter!  Now see, I DO know what you and others can do for people!  And all cheaper (well usually! LOL!) than therapy! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner  Definitely less expensive than a shrink. I charge a flat $75 for a makeover no matter how much time is involved and $100 for bridal makeup which includes the $25 consultation fee which happens beforehand. I think psychiatrist"s are up to $250 an hour now. I'm glad I don't need one, but during this passed year? It was close!!!