Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Thanx, @wildcat fan .  

Yes, we do have great salons in the city and also a very expensive salon in town.

I think I may go back as a walk-in just to have a treatment for my dried out hair.  Then at least others there will see it and perhaps the owner, her mother, may offer to take care of it.  Because of mutual friends it's hard to just stop going there, ya know.  

I understand. I once had a terrible haircut. I knew that stylist was off on Tuesdays. I called for a Tuesday appointment and explained I was having problems styling my new haircut, so I got a new stylist that time since my previous one was off that day. The new stylist was so sympathetic and even got a couple of others to take a look at that haircut. I ended up getting another cut and style for free, as well as a new stylist that I stayed with for 10 years--only parted ways because we moved. I miss her! It was a good salon owned by a neighbor, but it seems I wasn't the only one who got a bad cut from that stylist.

I would think they'd want to see the results from your perm and would want you to be happy. 

Honored Contributor

Here's a great tip that works pretty good.  I used to use it in my salon years ago 

Add about a tablespoon olive oil to a large dollop of mayonnaise..use the type made with eggs.

Apply to damp hair and comb through. Wrap your hair with plastic wrap or use a shower cap....leave solution on for at least an hour.

Rinse mayo out and wash your hair using a mild shampoo.  Blot water out with towel..so not rub. Comb your hair and let it air dry naturally.

Mayo is a good, cheap fix for a perm that dried out your hair.

Honored Contributor

Re: What Can I Do?

[ Edited ]

@kivah  @happycat  I had a similar situation.  Instead of the 1/4" inch regular trim on my long hair that took years to grow, she whacked off most of my hair on the top and sides. It has been 18 months and the sides now reach just below my nose.  I haven't been to a salon in a year and one-half.  I can truly sympathize with your situation.  It will take years to recover.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme  It sounds like she is very inexperienced with a perm.  It's a very long time for me getting a perm but I don't remember going under the dryer.  However, if it looks that bad, I would call the owner and explain how unhappy you are.  I would think there is something that will tame it down.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: What Can I Do?

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme   I'd suggest calling another salon, explaining what happened and whatever it costs, bite the bullet, and pay to fix it. I'm fairly sure it can be reversed by combing through the perm solution w/o the rods to straighten it somewhat...depending how long it's left on the hair. I've had this done just to pull some curl out of my natural curly/wavy hair to be able to wear certain styles. Usually a deep conditioning treatment follows. 

Uh, I wouldn't return to the other salon. Small town or not, your hair could have been permanently damaged (pun intended). 

Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@kivah  @happycat  I had a similar situation.  Instead of the 1/4" inch regular trim on my long hair that took years to grow, she whacked off most of my hair on the top and sides. It has been 18 months and the sides now reach just below my nose.  I haven't been to a salon in a year and one-half.  I can truly sympathize with your situation.  It will take years to recover.

Luckily I don't look in the mirror often --- so I don't get upset.

Occasional Contributor

I had a bad spiral perm once in the 80's at a fancy salon. I went back and they soaked my hair in  pickle juice for an hour and then did a 30 minute deep conditioning treatment and it fixed it.HTH

Esteemed Contributor

@ShannonB. wow, pickle juice!

I did the egg/mayo thing yesterday along with evoo.  I had saran wrap, shower cap and a winter hat on my head for three hours!  It did help a lot!  Will have to be done again though.

Got ice storm but once I can get out, will go to cvs to pick up a deep condidioner.

Thanx, I never would have thought of pickle juiceWoman LOL!

Valued Contributor

@eddyandmeMy very first post to say I am sorry about your hair!Being a hairdresser for 30 yrs I can say that I feel that ones under dryer can leave hair damaged in certain types.

Since you paid good money i would at least give them a chance to offer you conditioning treatments under the dryer and maybe schedule a trim in future to help with dry ends.They need  to know ther was a problem .Sounds like you got some good options on conditioning if you decide to continue on your own.If you have a beauty supply store near you they should be able to help you with ideas .If I was near you {NC} I would help you for free!

Esteemed Contributor

@red&curly wrote:

@eddyandmeMy very first post to say I am sorry about your hair!Being a hairdresser for 30 yrs I can say that I feel that ones under dryer can leave hair damaged in certain types.

Since you paid good money i would at least give them a chance to offer you conditioning treatments under the dryer and maybe schedule a trim in future to help with dry ends.They need  to know ther was a problem .Sounds like you got some good options on conditioning if you decide to continue on your own.If you have a beauty supply store near you they should be able to help you with ideas .If I was near you {NC} I would help you for free!

Thanks, @red&curly , that's very kind of you.  I bumped into the hairdresser shortly after the perm at the grocery store and we chit-chatted.  She ignored my hair - and it was a sight - instead of aplogizing and offering to correct it.  That, plus her mother owns the shop, so don't think returning would work out tpp well. So, I'll take your advice and go to a beauty supply shop for advice.  Thanks!