Honored Contributor

Re: What Body Lotion Is Good For Older Skin?

@INDIANA BONES wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I've been using this lotion for a long time. I am 62 and I don't have crepe-y skin because of this lotion, I believe. The glycolic acid keeps my skin smooth and hydrated. 

2298315.jpg

Thank u for sharing this. I can't wait to go read reviews on this.  I have never heard of it but I am not a shopper.   I am back and this comes in an Enhanced version.  It is a great price and available at most brick and mortar.   Thanks for sharing!   Most sites 5 star reviews.   

@SilleeMee- you beat me to it. I use others but this one gives a lot of bang for the buck when I don't want a scented body butter type product.

Honored Contributor

Older skin needs a rich, thick lotion or butter that has a lot of emollients.  

Esteemed Contributor

@blueroses47 wrote:

@INDIANA BONES wrote:

@Shelbelle @millieshops

Thank you for your gracioius help.  Going to take a peek at Isomers and Argan Oil Body now to see if either comes in a large size on Easy pay.  I like to slather.  LOL

Have a friend that has baby soft skin/legs at 60.  All she uses is baby oil after a bath while wet.  ALAS did not work for me but I was probably too far gone.  Smiley Frustrated

Your remark about your friend made me think of something.  I have two slightly younger friends, both in their sixties, who have their share of lines and wrinkles on their faces, especially one who is very lined.  However, the skin on their hands, arms and legs is amazingly smooth, no crepiness, no age spots, etc.  Extremely young looking, whereas my arms and legs (we won't even talk about my hands) are spotty, and somewhat crepey.  My face is not bad at all for my age.

I even teased my one friend once, when we were both wearing shorts and I compared our legs, and I asked her if her legs had ever "seen the light of day".  I know she has been in the sun an average amount, though, and doesn't use sunscreen on her arms and legs, or goes to any trouble to cover up, so go figure.

It is to such a great extent genes and the luck of the draw.  Products help I suppose, but mostly it's genes.

My mother in law used to insist regarding most things it was "in the genes".....time and time again she would say it.......she is long passed...but as i get older...i 100% agree with that statement.............as i have faced many of the issues my parents did ........and almost always the same results!!

Esteemed Contributor

If I was still in my early 60s I wouldn't have the saggy, crepey skin on my legs, because I didn't! It "magically" appeared sometime last year when I was 68 and I was shocked! Where in the heck did that come from! I think genetics has a lot to do with it. I'm not sure there is a magic elixer, but from what I've tried, I think an oil (like coconut oil) or a thick moisturizer helps a lot. I bought some Derma Blend (think that's the name) from Walgreen's and try to use it at night, although I don't really like that thicky, goopy stuff. The important thing is to consistently moisturize your face and body starting early. My next attempt at finding something to ease the crepey look will be the coconut oil and also Gold Bond lotion for aging skin. It's a battle, ladies! 

Super Contributor

@INDIANA BONES I used to use Nivea in the blue bottle & creamy vaseline.  I have aligator skin.

Regular Contributor

Another vote for cetaphil. I prefer the lotion and it really works for very dry skin. 

Honored Contributor

I use the CeraVe cream in the colder months.  I don't like heavier creams as a rule but it really does keep your skin smooth, flake-free and hydrated.  In the summer I will switch out to the lotion.  I think the key is to be consistent and never skip.  I am very diligent applying lotion or cream event though at times its a nuisance! And sun avoidance as much as possible.  Also, when showering, don't use really hot water and use a very gentle, moisturizing bath product.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a rare autoimmune skin issue.  I have been to some of the best dermatologists and autoimmune doctors.

Hands down they recommend CeraVE for the ceramides and hyaloronic acid.  Google the ingredients.

I always thought skin care needed to be expensive but this proved me wrong.

I too love the Josie whipped butter but it contains COMFREY a product banned in many countries.  I use it very sparingly and only on occassion.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just got Serious Skin Care's body oil at HSN and LOVE it.  They had it 2 for the price of 1 a few days ago.  It has a scent a bit like eucalyptus, so some don't like it.  The scent goes away and leaves your skin feeling great.

Honored Contributor

I am just coming off of surgery and 2 weeks in the hospital.  It left my skin dry and peeling.  I did some research on my computer and it said the best ones ( and most healing) have something called Urea in them.  One they suggested from the drugstore was Eucerin.  The one I have is in a 16 0z. white jar with a bright red lid. It says "new" on the jar and "ADVANCED REPAIR.  It is fragrance free.  In the smaller printing it says for "very dry, itchy, rough, flaky skin".  I am quite impressed with it!!