Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

The older you get, the more weird bumps and abnormalities will appear on your face.

@Kachina624   And elsewhere............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@Quinny wrote:

I am 62 years old and have been blessed with some pretty good genes as far as my skin is concerned. I've always maintained a simple but quality skincare regimen. Over the last 6 months, I have been noticing what look to be like blind pimples, particularly on the skin above and to the sides of my upper lip and sometimes on my chin. Occasionally, after I exfoliate, some will look reddened. After a while, the pimply look goes away, but a small bump remains.  

What are these odd pimple/bumps?  And what can I do about them? 

Could be milia. 

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

The older you get, the more weird bumps and abnormalities will appear on your face.

you're absolutely right.....i can cover up the psoriasis on my body.....but can't cover up the spots i'm now getting on my face!!  there's no such thing as growing old gracefully...

@nana59  @Kachina624  

I have psoriasis as well as scars of shingles and now milia.  How did I get so lucky?  And I see these ladies on hear worrying about wrinkle cream...

Honored Contributor

If they look like what we used to call "whiteheads" back in the day when we were young and broke out, but are hard, they are probably milia.  I have quite a few of them and I hate them!  For me, they don't go away!  Can't speak for everyone who has them.  I don't know if this is true but I think I get them because I am unable to use exfoliants and retonoids, etc. because of skin sensitivites.  You could go to the derm and ask them to check them and see what they are.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

@Quinny 

Hi I agree with the others about seeing a dermatologist , but I follow the Youtuber Dr Dray she is a young board cert  derm , who has great content and has videos on "closed comodones " which many people  think are white heads also on milla and several other skin conditions . If you can't see a derm/doctor  she gives great info on what to look for and how to treat . Good luck 

Honored Contributor

It does sound like milia. They are very small keratin-filled cysts. You should either leave them alone or have them extracted. Do NOT try to do it yourself.

These are generally caused by sun damage or some type of trauma to the skin. They are very common and nothing to worry about. But of course, you might feel better getting a diagnosis from your dermatologist.

BTW, they are NOT caused by any topicals such as moisturizers.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

You're going to want to get diagnosed. If you keep getting these bumps and the old ones never go away, it could eventually become a real problem.

There are a lot of different possible reasons for the issue you've described and none of us are docs and none of us can see you, so you really need an in-person evaluation by a pro. It could be something really easy to fix once you know, so don't wait.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

There are quite a few things they could be. A dermatologist would be able to give you the correct diagnosis. 

If it's around your mouth only and you've recently changed toothpaste, people have often found that to be a culprit of a rash or bumps around the mouth. Your very best bet is to see a doctor.

Respected Contributor

Maybe sebaceous hyperplasia