Respected Contributor

Wet n Wild Mattifying Powder

I'v been using a BB cream that I'm liking a lot except for the fact that it leaves my face looking very shiny. I tried a translucent powder over it to take away the shine but the powder ended up oxidizing and turned dark on me.

Next, I tried a colorless (white) loose powder by RCMA and it looked great for the first couple of hours after which I was shiny again. (I don't have oily skin.) The RCMA powder comes in a shaker bottle so it's not very portable or practical for touch-ups.

That brings me to this Wet n Wild mattifying pressed powder that I picked up at my grocery store for under $5.  I thought I'd take it to work with me for when I need to touch up to get rid of shine.  For that price, I figured I wasn't losing much if it doesn't work out.

I searched for opinions on this product here and see that @SilleeMee mentioned having bought it last July and was looking forward to trying it out. I hope she weighs in with her opinion as well as anyone else who has tried it. TIA 😊

Regular Contributor

Re: Wet n Wild Mattifying Powder

I have used the wet n wild photo finish or photo focus powder- 4.99 and really pretty nice for the money...but my all time favorite tho is the MAC studio mineralize pressed powder- baked- from Italy. It's I think $27-34.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for starting this discussion.  I've been using Bye Bye Pores, both loose and compact, for years and want to try something less expensive next time I need to repurchase.  I've seen the W-n-W at the store and am curious about it.   Hope to read some favorable reviews here.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

I too have dry skin. I’ve never needed to powder. You may need a different B.B. cream if this one is making you shiny. Just sayin’

Honored Contributor

I like the wnw mattifying powder! It's very finely milled and has no talc, which for me can be very drying and cause my skin to look wrinkly. Although the wnw is a mattifying powder, it isn't really matte but more of a satin finish. It blurs and diffuses to give you a nearly poreless complexion, a soft-focus look. When I first applied it I thought I wasn't putting anything on my face because I couldn't actually see it until I looked at my brush and saw it there. Once applied, it took down any shine to make my skin look satin-like. One thing I must mention here is that if you look at your face in bright light with a magnification mirror then you might see a little bit of shimmer but not glitter. I think this gives it the light-diffusing ability. I like to use this to set my under eye concealer sometimes...just a light dusting.

I think if you have very dark skin, a woman of color, then this one may not be for you. If you are going to take selfies or photos with flash then this powder will not 'flash back'. I use the Matte About You version.  I know there is at least another version called Take On the Day but I haven't tried it so I'm not sure if it is any different. 

@Texasmouse

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee

Thank you for your review! I have fair skin so the color shouldn't be a problem and I never take selfies so that part doesn't concern me.  I have the Matte About You version. I didn't realize WnW had more than one version but this was the only one (and the last of them) that I saw when I went to the grocery store last night after work so I thought I'd give it a try.  I took it to work with me today to try for touch ups. I don't mind the satin finish as I think this is more flattering than a flat matte finish on mature skin.

Again, thank you for taking the time to give us your opinion on this product. I'm sure other ladies here will appreciate it too. Smiley Happy

ETA: What kind of brush do you use to apply it? 

Honored Contributor

I apply my wnw powder with a loosely-bristled powder brush...aka 'setting powder brush'. Then I take my regular flat-top buki and blend, but you don't have to do this if you also use a setting spray or if you don't want to disturb your foundation or blush application. @Texasmouse

Respected Contributor

Came back to say this powder was a success! It gave my face a nice, slightly satin finish and I only touched up once!

Honored Contributor

@tototwo- I also have been using It's Bye Bye pores in the compact and I'm very pleased with it, but surely wouldn't mind trying Wet and Wild's product with the great reviews here.   Thanks to @Texasmousefor bringing it up.  Wet and Wild, although very inexpensive, really has a big following and a lot of great reviews on You Tube as well.