Esteemed Contributor

Re: Went To A new Hairdresser Yesterday

I've had the same hairdresser for 30 years!! When I first went to him he was 22 years old.He just turned 52. We have become dear friends.

He's an artist. I don't know what I would do without him.

Honored Contributor

I take my elderly mother to a salon, the owner does her hair ( he is in his 70's). I wasn't happy with the salon I was going to, so I made the switch to the same salon but with a different hairdresser. When I first started with her I showed her pictures of what I like. I like her very much, however I haven't loved any of my haircuts. She really gets to make me happy, I feel like I can't do my hair myself. I have hair that hits a little below my collarbone with layers. I'm not sure if it's proper to say I want shorter layers or more layers. Now you might say find another salon, I bring my mother to this salon, I think it would be very awkward if I stopped going to her.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I take my elderly mother to a salon, the owner does her hair ( he is in his 70's). I wasn't happy with the salon I was going to, so I made the switch to the same salon but with a different hairdresser. When I first started with her I showed her pictures of what I like. I like her very much, however I haven't loved any of my haircuts. She really gets to make me happy, I feel like I can't do my hair myself. I have hair that hits a little below my collarbone with layers. I'm not sure if it's proper to say I want shorter layers or more layers. Now you might say find another salon, I bring my mother to this salon, I think it would be very awkward if I stopped going to her.

you can def say you want more layers or less 

how will she know otherwise 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 I am in the same position, but without my mother! I rehearsed a 2 minute speech focusing on the positive: how much I liked coming there, that I love the color & highlights, really appreciate her talent, but that I don’t love the haircuts. Then I pulled out my iPad with a new series of pictures and we discussed those.

It went well. Jennifer said she wants me to be happy and thinks as she gets to

know me she’ll understand better what I’m going for, and we can get there. As with your situation, the stylist cares, takes pride in her work & wants a satisfied client.

Like you, I’m not very good at doing my hair. I would like to be like other posters here who have great long-standing relationships with their stylists, so I’m going to work on building that, starting with good communication & feedback.

I’m not saying you do this but I’ve realized I can’t go and sit in the chair and expect her to be a mind reader or even expect the way I talk about my hair is the way a professional would (or so I’ve been told by a prior stylist). And I can’t get out of the chair if there’s something I would like addressed.

But that’s me. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@ID2 @Mom2Dogs   I have also heard wonderful things about Kevin Murphy products but whenever there is a link to the line, it takes me to stores located in Canada. No one in my state sells the line and in talking to friends across the country, they don't have a distributor in their state either. @ID2 , where do you purchase his products?

BTW, I think he's based in Canada so the Canadian sites would make sense....but I don't know.

Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

If you like Paul Mitchell then you'd LOVE Kevin Murphy products!! I changed salons over a year ago and its strictly a Kevin Murphy salon. I wasn't familiar with this brand but quickly became to absolutely LOVE it! Far, far superior than all of the others! Costly but you use very little product and the results are so incredible! I highly recommend!!!

Where do you purchase Kevin Murphy products? I never even heard of this line.

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama   So glad you had a good experience.  Your last stylist sounds very self centered.  Enjoy your new cut.  Happy Holidays.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

It was a wonderful experience all along.  That's good to hear.  Finding the right hairdresser and the right beauty salon can be a challenge.  Waiting for an hour?????  Because the hairdresser isn't even there yet!  No.  If that happened to me just once, I would never have gone back.  

Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad you had a good experience, and a great haircut.  I'm so jealous of all of you who stay with one stylist and love your haircuts.  You're lucky!    I went to the same stylist for a couple decades.  The way she cut my hair was always perfect - she got me!  Then.... I don't know... she got lazy ... ?  Her haircuts were horrid.  She was always running late or would talk on her phone for lengthy periods.  She'd be in the middle of cutting my hair and take a personal call!   One day I left her shop and never went back.  I've been hopping from one stylist to another ever since. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

I'm glad you had a good experience, and a great haircut.  I'm so jealous of all of you who stay with one stylist and love your haircuts.  You're lucky!    I went to the same stylist for a couple decades.  The way she cut my hair was always perfect - she got me!  Then.... I don't know... she got lazy ... ?  Her haircuts were horrid.  She was always running late or would talk on her phone for lengthy periods.  She'd be in the middle of cutting my hair and take a personal call!   One day I left her shop and never went back.  I've been hopping from one stylist to another ever since. 

@tototwo  - That was rude of your previous stylist to take lengthy personal calls while she's working on your hair.  I don't blame you for leaving.  Hope you find one you really like one day.