Frequent Contributor

This story has been all over the NYC news and the national news programs this morning. (Are they trolls too?) It is reported that Wen has virtually no cleansing agents in it and the clogging lotion-like ingredients are most likely building up and leading to hair loss. They also are showing many pictures of significant hair loss. Looks convincing and hard to ignore. Easier to ignore people yapping about how wonderful and awesome these crappy products are.

Honored Contributor

.Apparently the women claim irreversible damage.  Otherwise the remedy would simply be to quit using the product.

Honored Contributor

I don't personally use Wen shampoo, but I wanted to comment that there are many reasons for hair loss.  Medications, stress, allergies to a product's ingredients, and many more reasons. IMHO individual results may vary as with any product you purchase. Many people may have great results with a product while others don't.  I was shopping a while ago and complimented a woman on the perfume she was wearing.  She than told me the name of the perfume.  I spritzed the perfume on myself and it smelled awful on me. Different results for different people as with any product. I wish Chaz well and hope that the people involved in the lawsuit, individually find a product that works for them.

Respected Contributor

If you're up and interested Today is going to have some news on the WEN situation coming up in a few minutes.  It's 7:26 here in the Central time zone right now. Just a heads up.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have a towel in the fight, but I am curious, naturally.

It would seem to me that, since the product is sold as able to produce gorgeous locks (look at the models/spokespeople!), one might not immediately pin the hair loss on the product, and therefore not stop using it right away.  I have read at least a few accounts of litigants becoming concerned over what could be other health issues, before concluding that it could be the product, or their reaction to the product.

Really, unfortunate all around for all sides.

Cogito ergo sum
Occasional Contributor

Check Snopes.com, always a good go-to for debunking rumors. Yes, there is a lawsuit, but that doesn't mean there's any validity to the claims. I have been using Wen for well over a year, not exclusively, but most of the time. No problems whatsoever. I find it interesting that it hasn't even been determined whether the hair loss is from the root or because of breakage, and no ingredient has been found or blamed that could be responsible. 

Honored Contributor

Class action suits often end up going nowhere.  The two sides negotiate some compromise in which the company being sued in effect pays off the lawyers and ADMITS NO GUILT to any violations. 

I can see this happening in this case - hopefully those who signed onto the case are seeing some regrowth because they switched to some other hair products and the rest of the millions of WEN users will go right on Wenning.

Valued Contributor

I always find the Wen threads very interesting. I am not a Wen user..I tried it and it did nothing for me..My Husband uses it and likes it..He has very short hair and it's seems to help his dandruff problem..BUT he tells me that he has to use regular shampoo every few weeks to get the WAXY Build up off his scalp...He says it doesn't feel natural.

What I wanted to say is that the WEN lovers don't want to believe that there are people who actually have a PROBLEM with this stuff...They go to great lenghths to Bash anyone who does. Often calling them trolls,saying that they must be working for a Wen competitor ..It's amazing...I am one of those indiviuals that can't take anything that has an ANTIHISTIMINE in it ..it makes my heart race..I can't have Novacane..at the dentist....but I know tons of people who have no problem with it..Does that mean that I am making this up?....I am trying to wrap my head around this BLIND ALLEGIANCE to Chaz Dean and Wen...I read where someone says..Chaz is a wonderful caring person and therefore he wouldn't make anything that would cause problems..HOLY COW don't be Naive. You people don't really no him. He maybe a nice person..but make no mistake..he is in it to make money..to the tune of over $100 Million Dollars in sales on QVC alone...So, wake up...when was the last time you got a DIVIDEND Check from him?Oh. No I don't think so.

Honored Contributor

@minkyluYou'd think so, but please take a look at the cigarette companies which are still around even after fighting the suits for decades and even paying out some huge awards.

We still need to see the lawyers prove it was the cc that caused the issuesand that the company knew or should have known their ingredients were

Trusted Contributor

Thankfully, my hair loss wasn't irreversable. It's finally growing back in. Love the Wen sweet almond mint oil, just can't use any of the CCs. After discontinuing the CCs, I noticed noticably less hair loss in the shower. Something in it does not agree with my hair/scalp.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004