Frequent Contributor

Re: Wen lawsuit about hair loss

LOL I have no sway one way or the other about the lawsuit but I have seen and met Chaz in Manhattan several times and he is beyone sweet and kind and he actually does have hair on his arms... its very blonde but he has it lol. Just had to throw it out there. Last time i saw him was about a year ago so dont know if it has changed but he had hair when I saw talked to him. 

Honored Contributor

So my biggest question who's a scientist that did studies to prove there is an ingredient that causes hair loss. Please fill me in!! Sounds like B S to me.

I don't even pretend to be a scientist, but here's what I think after having used it for six months, lost some hair, and ended up looking greasy and flat.  Quit the product and after a little more than a year most of the lost hair has regrown.

I had always been told to switch around shampoos and conditioners because the hair will get a build up (this from stylists over the years).  I have always done that and never had a problem.  I started WEN because I thought, wow... a product that isn't a shampoo and made with healthy ingredients.  My hair looked incredible for about 2 - 3 months.  And then it didn't.  

No matter what I did to rectify it and bring it back to the two first glorious months it never looked better until I stopped using it!

I believe my hair had some kind of build up from WEN that wouldn't rinse out.  I don't believe there's anything in the products that's bad, just that some people get a horrific build up on the hair and down at the roots (which may/may not cause the roots to suffer, which cause the hair to fall out.)   This build up also causes the greasy look (without being greasy) and/or causes hair to die and fall out in some instances.  This is my opinion.....  

I went back to my shampoo/conditioner rotation and after a year my hair grew back and it once again looks clean and normal.

/My take on my experience with WEN 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

BTW, I will not participate in any lawsuit.....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

@Bella Carro wrote:

@UMDTerpFan. I'm sorry you had that experience.  No fair one of the best posters around had trouble!  I don't doubt it has happened to others as well.  There are just too many numbers but with that the factors increase exponentially, too.  

My my two cents in this thread was, again, not to doubt the veracity of the issue as a whole but the motive of new posts complete with pics.  Timing is everything.  It really crawls under my skin when we see new posts, any, that are posting for reasons other than sharing or requesting information.  Gathering info, advertising, fake reviews, etc. just are insulting, IMO.  I like it here.  I like the people on this forum.  I've learned so much!  I don't want to see it watered down with the agenda of others.  

@Bella Carro Thanks, I have a theory that it is an allergic reaction to aloe vera but that's just my two cents because my scalp reacted the same way to the brand Euphora sold in salons and that brand consists primarily of aloe vera. But it could be an allergy to different ingredients cause different people to have similar reactions.

I've been  using Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner (for curly hair) since shortly after it came out, maybe since spring time (I've bought five bottles), and have not had any of the scalp issues I had with WEN. And my hair looks pretty darned good, very healthy and my curls are holding to a 2nd day and sometimes a 3rd. I like this product a lot because you get more for the money, I use less as it suds up better if you know what I mean and I feel it rinses out cleaner than WEN did. So I highly recommend giving this one a try if WEN is a problem for you. Ulta carries it so with their coupon and their rewards discounts, it makes it a great buy IMHO.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Respected Contributor

@NYwoman wrote:

Chaz says he constantly uses all his products on his entire body. Well, have you noticed that he has no hair on his hands or his arms. They are exposed in his salon work. Just sayin'.........

You do realize he also has a thick full head of hair lol

Occasional Visitor

WEN PRODUCTS ARE STILL BEING SOLD QVC,    VERY SUPRISING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!      I myself suffered salp burns from using wen product once,                            Debbie Raffensberger

I agree with beatutydiva, and I've ordered this product numerous times with no problem at all. It doesn't make sense, Wen has sold millions of these products and there are so few coming out of the woodwork now. REALLY!!!!!

Super Contributor

There is one specific ingredient I'm quite concerned about

METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/703935/METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE/

Super Contributor

@Bella Carro wrote:
On 3/20/2015 Still Raining said:

Right up there with the lawsuit some years ago by the escaped prisoner who hid from the law somewhere outside in the cold and got frostbite and sued the state because they didn't find him sooner.

LOL! And, a very wise statement.

Chemically speaking, I do not see one ingredient that would cause hair loss. If a user is allergic to an ingredient that's another story. I recently had a reaction to a cleanser a Bare Minerals rep rec'd to me while at Ulta. I stupidly did not stop use immediately believing it was minor. Two days later and I looked like a tomato. Had to go to the dr, get a scrip for oral and topical steroids. Who is at fault? The majority of the population who use that cleanser have no issues with it. I had an allergic reaction and it was my responsibility to be smart enough to stop using it. But, initially I wasn't. Still my fault.

So, should I abandon my part in it, scavenge around beauty boards and find a few others who had an allergic reaction to that same cleanser, grab a lawyer or two and file a suit? I guess some will.

There is one specific ingredient I'm quite concerned about

METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/703935/METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE/

Regular Contributor

Just saw Shawn Killinger's interview with Mally. Mally mentioned that she has bald spots and hair loss. Uh-oh...