Respected Contributor

Re: Wen and hair falling out

On 7/28/2014 fmrwenner said:

I started using Wen off and on a few years ago and absolutely loved it from the beginning. I never had an issue, but since it was more expensive than the shampoo I normally bought, I would use it until it ran out, then use my regular stuff for a while.

I started using Wen exclusively in 2011. After about 6 months, I started to lose hair...very noticeably (to me). A LOT of hair came out in the brush, shower and my hands when I ran my fingers through it. I thought that my hair was getting too heavy, so I had a good short haircut. Around the same time, a new fragrance - seasonal came out and I switched to that. I did not notice any more shedding of hair.

I used the seasonal products - Ginger/Pumpkin and my favorite Mango/Coconut without problem. They were my absolute favorites. I was sad that the Mango was not going to be any longer...but I switched to Lavendar early in 2014.

About a month ago, I noticed the shedding again. I wasn't concerned at first. But it kept getting worse. I switched to 6/13, but it didn't make a difference. I switched to Fig, but it kept getting worse. I had a lot of hair so I wasn't freaking out quite yet. Around that time, I had my annual physical...everything normal. No hormonal issues - way past that. Nothing has changed for me and my routine - except for Wen.

I decided to search Wen and hairloss on Google and was amazed at the comments from women. This is NOT OUR IMAGINATION...sorry. I truly LOVE Wen and the way it makes my hair feel, but it's not going to do me any good if I don't HAVE any hair.

It was bad enough when I was the only one who noticed my thinning hair, but now everyone notices and comments. I have (sadly) stopped using Wen, and am hoping this will turn itself around.

I have been a very loyal QVC customer for many, many years, and I feel a little betrayed that this issue is swept under the rug. I think, at the very least, that a disclaimer should be made. This is just not right.

I don't doubt your experience and am not trying to make light of it. However, realistically what kind of disclaimer would this be when millions worldwide use WEN with no problem? Peanuts and shrimp can kill some ppl and every personal care line QVC sells will cause someone out there an issue. No one is taking peanuts and shrimp off the market. Every product on the market would have the exact same disclaimer on it. "This might not work for you. Some people have reported adverse reactions to this product. An overwhelming majority of people have not. Anyone can show allergy to anything, even after prolonged successful use. Use at your own risk." The other day I returned an eyeliner to Ulta. It gave me allergy eye like crazy. All red and swollen. I got my money back, but I am sure some people just love that liner. I chalk it up to Life.
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Super Contributor

I started using Wen off and on a few years ago and absolutely loved it from the beginning. I never had an issue, but since it was more expensive than the shampoo I normally bought, I would use it until it ran out, then use my regular stuff for a while.

I started using Wen exclusively in 2011. After about 6 months, I started to lose hair...very noticeably (to me). A LOT of hair came out in the brush, shower and my hands when I ran my fingers through it. I thought that my hair was getting too heavy, so I had a good short haircut. Around the same time, a new fragrance - seasonal came out and I switched to that. I did not notice any more shedding of hair.

I used the seasonal products - Ginger/Pumpkin and my favorite Mango/Coconut without problem. They were my absolute favorites. I was sad that the Mango was not going to be any longer...but I switched to Lavendar early in 2014.

About a month ago, I noticed the shedding again. I wasn't concerned at first. But it kept getting worse. I switched to 6/13, but it didn't make a difference. I switched to Fig, but it kept getting worse. I had a lot of hair so I wasn't freaking out quite yet. Around that time, I had my annual physical...everything normal. No hormonal issues - way past that. Nothing has changed for me and my routine - except for Wen.

I decided to search Wen and hairloss on Google and was amazed at the comments from women. This is NOT OUR IMAGINATION...sorry. I truly LOVE Wen and the way it makes my hair feel, but it's not going to do me any good if I don't HAVE any hair.

It was bad enough when I was the only one who noticed my thinning hair, but now everyone notices and comments. I have (sadly) stopped using Wen, and am hoping this will turn itself around.

I have been a very loyal QVC customer for many, many years, and I feel a little betrayed that this issue is swept under the rug. I think, at the very least, that a disclaimer should be made. This is just not right.

There is a disclaimer on every bottle: "If adverse reaction occurs, discontinue use and consult physician". That's just common sense.
Honored Contributor

It sounds like your color treatments, which I think you said you do at home, are wrecking your hair. If you fry your hair, I don't think WEN can repair that type of damage.

Respected Contributor

On 6/18/2014 lovetosing said:

I stopped using Wen because of hair loss as well... my daughter had lots of hair loss with Wen.. we just stopped using it.. I really wanted to like Wen but did not work for us..it's weird because the very very first time we both used Wen our hair looked amazingly soft but after that first time our hair went right back to frizzy when it dried... why is it only the first wash our hair was soft and not after that.. we both could not understand that either. I do use the Wen oil sometimes on the ends of my hair..that's it.

If Wen is causing hair loss I would imagine that you are allergic to some of the ingredients. I have read many posts that are just blaming Wen for their hair loss. I equate it with skin care products that don't work for some users since they are probably allergic to the ingredients. You may have been using the wrong formula for your hair type. If you still have your Wen and want to try using it again, you should first find out if you are allergic to some of the ingredients.

Super Contributor

It's possible that you had an allergic reaction to the wheat based formulas since you had been using the seasonal soy-based formulas until recently with no issue. It's also possible it could be something else entirely since you used Wen for several years with no problems. That said, there are probably a 100 or more reasons why someone could experience hair loss and some could take while to figure out by a dermatologist. Allergy issues can be expected with any product. I had an allergic reaction and some hair loss from one of the salon brands. I knew within a week and quit using it. I sure others probably had issues too. I don't expect them to put a disclaimer on all their products.

Respected Contributor

Yes I have heard that story before, I doubt it is wen for it it was your hair would be falling out much sooner. I am thinking that your hair needs changed or maybe a medical condition or your body chemistry changed with age.

Respected Contributor

That sounds pretty bad. I'm very sorry about what happened to your hair. Maybe try not using WEN for awhile and see what happens. I've read some of these hair loss stories from people that used WEN and it didn't work for them. The good news is that when they stopped using WEN, their hair did start to grow back.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Honored Contributor

On 6/17/2014 Drythe said:
On 6/17/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

I would just let this thread die it's natural death.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

On 7/28/2014 Drythe said:

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I don't think anyone's trying to say mean things about WEN or Chaz. But if a product starts causing a really bad reaction, people get scared and look for answers or help.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Super Contributor

On 7/28/2014 NC Bandwagon said:
On 7/28/2014 Drythe said:

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I don't think anyone's trying to say mean things about WEN or Chaz. But if a product starts causing a really bad reaction, people get scared and look for answers or help.

NC, the OP hasn't come back in 6 weeks. This thread was revived by another first post poster named "fmrwenner". If she was seriously concerned about her hair loss, she would have started a new thread asking for help, not searched back several pages to revive an older thread. This is what "trolls" do, not people who are looking for answers.