Regular Contributor

Wen Treatment Oil- Need Help!

I have very fine shoulder length hair. I've watched the shows and videos and am still confused on "exactly" how and when to use the oil.  To the "top" of the scalp, through the hair itself, to the ends...all of the above?  And also "when"....during the day and not overnight?  If I apply after washing my hair how much, when and where?  I ordered the TSV for the value but would like detailed about the oil. Thank you! 

Frequent Contributor

Re: Wen Treatment Oil- Need Help!

You will find varying opinions and this is how I use it. I have thick below the shoulder length hair. I always use the oil after I have styled my hair. I let my hair air dry and then blow dry when it's about half way dry. I then use a flatening iron ( mainly because my hair is so thick ). I don't use any hairsprays. I actually flip my hair over my head and I use about 5 or 6 drops and put them in my hand. I then rub my hands together slightly and then I apply the oil throughout the entire length of my hair. I actually twist  my hair and i then push the oil in. It's almost like twisting a rope. If you watch Chaz closely he does this a lot when applying the styling creme. I sometimes will use the oil several times a week. But remember that I have very thick hair. I also use the oil a couple times a month for deeper conditioning. I flip my head over and apply a dropper full of oil to my scalp and then apply several droppers to the entire length of my hair. I then sleep with the oil in overnight and cleanse the next day. I might add that I have been using WEN for about 12 years and I only cleanse once a week...twice max. There are many of the WEN ladies that use the oil on their skin and it does work great but I just can't afford to do that. Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Acat girl I would also recommend that you link up with the WEN ladies on the forum. Just go to the left of the screen, click on " My favorite brand" and scroll down to WEN. Those ladies can answer just about any question you may have.

Respected Contributor

Yes, acatgirl, Do go over to the WEN forum.  You can read about WEN to your hearts delight.

Since you have fine hair I would use a light hand applying the oil to your dry hair.  apply a drop at a time rubbed onto your palms to the midlength and ends of your hair.  A little goes a long way.  As for treatments the oil is especially good for  scalp treatments.  Tilting your head back a bit so the oil won't run down your face,  you would apply droppers full dispursing the oil slowly in lines along your scalp from forehead to the back of your crown, top middle and behind ear level on both sides.  then do the same thing from the back of your crown back down to the end of your scalp in the back of your head.  again using a light touch to dole out the oil from the dropper.  With the oil applied, massage your scalp thoroughly but not roughly for a couple of minutes to spread the oil all around your scalp then use a comb to gently dispurse the oil throughout the length of your hair.  You can put a few more drops in your hand to apply th the length of your hair if you like.  With the oil combed through your hair, wrap it in a towel or in a bun and leave in from a few hours to overnight then wash out THOROUGHLY with your CC.  Your oiled hair will yes, look oily, while you wear it so I usually do it when I plan on staying home for the day or as an overnight treatment.  You may want to do your first oil treatment during the day as othe oils have quite a scent to them and may make it hard for you to sleep until you know what you're up against.  As you use the products you will tweak them to what application works best for your own hair.      Even a few hours on your scalp will be helpful.  Keep watching the WEN shows and look for the Wen Forum . The ladies there really are a wealth of information.! Enjoy your TSV!

Trusted Contributor

@Misscindy has given you really great advice. I'll second the notion to check out the Wen forum, as well. 

I try to use the Wen oils as overnight scalp treatments twice a week. I apply three-four droppers all over my scalp, then massage in really well. When my hair is on the drier side, I apply a few drops in with my leave in or SC after I cleanse. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

How i use it is i like to get a drugstore oil brand and add  full dropperfull of wen oil to it. The reason for this is wen oil alone makes our hair greasy easily  this way the silicones in the drugtore hair oils help evenly distribute the oils in my hair and iliminates the too greasy hair problem. For example I love the macadamia nut oil spray from suave. When it is 1/4 used up I add one dropperful of wen oil to it and shake it up. Silicones  etc... is not bad for your hair. most silicones in hair oils serve to distribute the oils then they evaporate out.  OR  i will add a drop or two in a leave -in conditioner and rub it in my hands before putting it in my hair. that also helps getting the wen oil in your hair without accidentally over doing it and getting the greasy hair look.

I can not do the scalp overnight thing.  i think its a wasteo fa n expensive oil and the smells keep me from sleeping

Valued Contributor

I use it overnight.  I have thin, brittle hair, as it is dyed and I'm on medications.  I put a dropper full down my part, one dropper on each side, going front to neck. Then one dropper across the back, about mid way down.  

This works for me.  I try and do it once a week, probably need to do more. But it works, my hair is so soft for a few days!! And shiny, not greasy.

Occasional Contributor

I use the oil treatments overnight, or sometimes put it in at night, sleep in it, and then don't actually wash my hair till later in the day (if I'm not going out at all that day).  It is wonderful, and I highly recommend using it. Smiley Happy