Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Wen Class Action News

[ Edited ]

From the newswires, it seems that there is preliminary court approval of a settlement of the class action lawsuit involving Wen.  Pending final court approval, it seems that the settlement is for about $26.25 million, with payout to people who are part of the class.  This appears separate from the FDA inquiry.  If interested, you can find out more by searching the internet.

Honored Contributor

lawsuit news as of november 2016.....

According to the terms of the settlement, more than 6 million customers who used the hair product could get rewards of up to $20,000.

More than 200 customers in 40 states have signed on to the class-action lawsuit, which claims that the shampoo — which the company calls a "cleansing conditioner" — causes bald spots, severe hair breakage, scalp irritation, and rashes.

http://www.businessinsider.com/wen-hair-loss-lawsuit-moves-forward-2016-11

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Oh good grief ......   well, some people will always be allergic to certain ingredients.   Fact of life.   I feel sorry for Chaz.   I've never had a problem with Wen.

Honored Contributor

Re: Wen Class Action News

[ Edited ]

I don't believe it. No court is awarding damages for a temoporary condition even if it is proven to be the Wen, which hasn't happened...

Super Contributor

Just wanted to day I do use WEN and have no problems, however the article does cite a statement by Chaz Dean saying they have decided to settle out of court with the complaintants. People need to read the article before deciding if something is for real or not. Again, I use the products and have had none of the issues stated, but that doesn't mean that others haven't.

I wonder how QVC will react to this latest news. It should be interesting to see.

Have A Nice Day All

Vicki

Esteemed Contributor

What about new, unknowing customers who use the product and have a bad reaction?  Can the company ever be sued again?

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

I don't believe it. No court is awarding damages for a temoporary condition even if it is proven to be the Wen, which hasn't happened...

It's a settlement, which means that the plaintiffs and defense came to an agreement out of court, in this case which included a financial damage award. It was presented to the court for their approval. Guthy Renker and Wen by Chaz Dean INC are both plaintiffs in the suit, and could have not settled, if they'd wanted to. 

Frankly I'm disappointed that they have chosen to settle. I'd have rather seen it go to court and forced the plaintiffs to prove their case. Because I don't think they could have. But it is what it is. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

What about new, unknowing customers who use the product and have a bad reaction?  Can the company ever be sued again?

I seriously doubt it, because one of the complaints sued for failure to warn and I bet a warning to not use if you have a negative reaction will be appearing on bottles in the future. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I have to say that the only appealing thing about Wen are the scents.  Using a conditioner on your hair over and over is going to way it down which eventually will cause hair loss.  Using a conditioner to wash your hair does not sound like it is cleansing the hair.  I will pass.  Good for the people who won money from the lawsuit.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

If your hair is falling out, wouldn't the first thing you change is what you're putting on it?  I don't understand going bald and continuing to use the product.  I've tried WEN and it didn't work for me so I gave it to a friend and she's used it for years.  Ivory soap makes me itch but I don't think I will be suing the company.