Frequent Contributor

Went back to using wen every day as directed.. Have very fine,blond, colored treated hair and an oily scalp. Does anyone else have to do a shampoo every week or two and use wen CA as a conditioner on that day to get a deep cleanse? Other than that I am loving it.

Honored Contributor

I use a reg. shampoo my first wash and then WEN as my second wash(or cleansing) this works better for my hair. If I only use WEN it weighs my hair down and looks greasy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

I use Wen normally (and I mix up different types--it seems that helps. I use Tea Tree, Cucumber Aloe and mix in the seasonal for a change up. This helps volume.) But at least once a month, and more usually, twice a month, I wash with a regular, clarifying shampoo.

It all depends on your hair, the weather, the water. I get sweaty and oily in summer and have fine but abundant hair. Normally, I can't use conditioners unless they are the volumizing type. Wen seems to very much agree with me, but I can't use it exclusively.

Honored Contributor

No, I don't shampoo at all. I have hair similar to yours. I used to have an oil problem, but not anymore. In the beginning, I was cleansing with WEN daily and never getting the kind of experience of cleansing only a few times a week like many others are able to do. When I finally gave in and tried the oils, it made all the difference for me. I treat my scalp to an overnight oil treatment a few times a week. It has normalized/stabilized my natural oil production and I can now cleanse every other day and still have pretty good hair on Day Two w/o being self-conscious about it. When I do cleanse, I'm now using a mix of CA, TT, and SAM as my first cleanse. Then, for my second cleanse, I will use CA on the top of my head, and any mixture du jour on the length of my hair.

Super Contributor

I think with Wen, it depends on so many variables: your hair and scalp and how they respond to oils, your water. For me, the oils in Wen are just too much and weigh down my hair and make it greasy. Using the Wen oils was a total disaster for me, stringy greasy hair and scalp. And that was trying different amounts and formulas. I have the same experience with using oils on my face. I know that some people find using oils makes their skin less oily, but I have the opposite reaction.

I do better with plain old conditioners that aren't as thick or contain as many oils.

Esteemed Contributor

I used Wen for 10 months and then out of the blue, had to shampoo yesterday. I don't know what caused the need for shampoo, but it set my hair right again.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor

Maybe you aren't cleansing thoroughly enough, or not using enough? Also make sure to splash in enough water to help it work into your hair. I haven't had a problem with build up, but I cleanse thoroughly and do 2 cleanses (splitting the total amount in half each cleanse) as the bottle says. Everyone is different, but maybe you need to use more to make sure you're cleansing thoroughly, and rinse well.

Super Contributor
I don't shampoo at all, either. I use TT oil as a scalp treatment, but used cucumber aloe as a cleanser when I first started using WEN send had oily hair. Continuing to use shampoo will only continue your oil problem, try using CA as your first cleanse and TT oil scalp treatment 2-3 times a week. Your scalp will normalize.
Honored Contributor

No. I use shampoo maybe once every other year if I get my color too dark and want to lighten it up some, but that's about it. I used to keep shampoo around even though I didn't use them, but I got rid of them all when I moved in January. In June I bought a travel size shampoo when my hair came out too dark and I still have 2/3 of it left.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you ladies for your advice. I am going to try several things that you mentioned. Love Wen and how healthy it is for my hair.