Esteemed Contributor

Re: Well, I Didn't, Did You???

Never have self-tanned.  Not once.

I've spent many years working outside and I am tired of the sun.  I still have some farmer's tan lines, but I do not care.  I don't avoid it, necessarily, but I don't care about having a tan and I don't mind staying in the shade, or limiting my exposure.  I do generally wear a hat outside (that also helps when trying to grow out a haircut!).

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Shanus  Not trying to be argumentative but enjoying the sun is not poison!!!  Absolutely nothing wrong with a little soaking up of the sun!! AS part of a welllness plan, several doctors I have seen recently have recommended 1 hour or more of sun daily without  sunscreen/block in order to absorb vitamin D-  after 2:00 p.m  People get hysterical about the sun  and become like vampires avoiding it!!!  Not everyone can do it or wants to.  Then they will not leave the house anytime without slopping chemicals all over their skin which can be more damaging than the sun!!!  Using it too much can actually cause cancer in the body and damage to organs!!  The only people who I know that have had skin cancer are ones that adhered to the stay out of the sun and ALWAYS use sunblock!! Many think they have skin cancer when things on their skin are removed that could (but probably never will) turn cancerous. People keep smoking in spite of the obvious warnings and dangers that are far worse and higher statistically than sun exposure!    So many keep smoking in  spite of the high percentages of people that develope cancers from that.  People are still obese from  overeating in spite of all the warnings and statistically they are in more danger of health issues than going out in the sun.  People still use harmful chemicals to clean in spite of the proof that they are definitely harmful to the body!!   They continue to drink daily more than they should which is far worse.  I could go on and on.  There are so many other things people do that are causing cancer and health isues more frequently than being in the sun.  I'm pretty sure everyone does many things that are more unhealthy than being out in the sun!!    To enjoy the sun or not is a choice and no one else's business!!

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I thought I would use my self tanner this year, but so many ladies are going without, I didn't put up with the constant scrubbing to remove old product and having redness and soreness.

I had even found a better product than last time in San Tropez foam!!!

Color me not faux tanned!!!Smiley Happy

I used mine, but I've never gone through all of that. I wear short sleeves almost year 'round, so my face, chest, and arms are always darker than my legs. I only use the self-tanner on my legs and don't go very dark, just one coat to make them match the rest of me when I wear cropped pants or shorts in the summer. Because it's not very dark, it fades easily and I just do it again the next week without having anything old to remove.

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@Shanus  Not trying to be argumentative but enjoying the sun is not poison!!!  Absolutely nothing wrong with a little soaking up of the sun!! AS part of a welllness plan, several doctors I have seen recently have recommended 1 hour or more of sun daily without  sunscreen/block in order to absorb vitamin D-  after 2:00 p.m  People get hysterical about the sun  and become like vampires avoiding it!!!  Not everyone can do it or wants to.  Then they will not leave the house anytime without slopping chemicals all over their skin which can be more damaging than the sun!!!  Using it too much can actually cause cancer in the body and damage to organs!!  The only people who I know that have had skin cancer are ones that adhered to the stay out of the sun and ALWAYS use sunblock!! Many think they have skin cancer when things on their skin are removed that could (but probably never will) turn cancerous. People keep smoking in spite of the obvious warnings and dangers that are far worse and higher statistically than sun exposure!    So many keep smoking in  spite of the high percentages of people that develope cancers from that.  People are still obese from  overeating in spite of all the warnings and statistically they are in more danger of health issues than going out in the sun.  People still use harmful chemicals to clean in spite of the proof that they are definitely harmful to the body!!   They continue to drink daily more than they should which is far worse.  I could go on and on.  There are so many other things people do that are causing cancer and health isues more frequently than being in the sun.  I'm pretty sure everyone does many things that are more unhealthy than being out in the sun!!    To enjoy the sun or not is a choice and no one else's business!!

@Pook, I think you pose a very weak argument.

First, no, the use of sunscreens has been proved to be safe to humans. Skin cancer almost always is a result of sun damage, as is photoaging.

Second, when someone has a "thing" removed from their skin, it must be biopsed. The patient is then told the results. There is no thinking that one has skin cancer without such a diagnosis.

Third, the fact that so many people engage in other very dangerous habits is an argument for not doing so, including acquiring sun damage through tanning.

Finally, of course it's okay for most people to get a very moderate amount of sun as long as they don't tan or burn -- tanning and burning equates with damage and trauma to the skin.

I am not a "vampire," but I do take precautions against such damage, particularly because I have actinic keratoses, which are solely a result of sun damage and which can become sqaumous cell carcinoma.

You of course do what you want. But I hope that no one takes your comments to heart.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Pook wrote:

@Pook, I think you pose a very weak argument.

First, no, the use of sunscreens has been proved to be safe to humans. Skin cancer almost always is a result of sun damage, as is photoaging.

Second, when someone has a "thing" removed from their skin, it must be biopsed. The patient is then told the results. There is no thinking that one has skin cancer without such a diagnosis.

Third, the fact that so many people engage in other very dangerous habits is an argument for not doing so, including acquiring sun damage through tanning.

Finally, of course it's okay for most people to get a very moderate amount of sun as long as they don't tan or burn -- tanning and burning equates with damage and trauma to the skin.

I am not a "vampire," but I do take precautions against such damage, particularly because I have actinic keratoses, which are solely a result of sun damage and which can become sqaumous cell carcinoma.

You of course do what you want. But I hope that no one takes your comments to heart.

Thanks @suzyQ3. Took the words out of my mouth. 🌸

Respected Contributor

Nahhh. I am super fair and I seriously envy those with tan skin.   I have used faux tan creams in the past, and for special occasions now, and they give good color.

But I cannot stand the smell. It makes me want to lose it... I don’t care what the presentations say, they all start to have that gross smell as the tan develops- I embrace my skin as it is now! 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3  @Shanus    My whole point of the post was to state that we cannot live life just minimally because everything is something to fear then think we are safe from health issues because we slather with sunblock 24/7, then keep eating our weight up and not exercising, smoking, drinking, using chemicals in our homes because of the OCD desire for cleanliness, etc!!  My point mainly is that it is no one else's business how we each choose to live our lives as everyone does things that are dangerous for their health - much more dangerous than the sun!!!  Like I stated I knew many who actually had skin cancer (6 people) and they were all the ones who wouldn't look out a window unless they slathered all that sun block over themselves.  Then there were also many more (at least 12)who insisted they had skin cancer when in actuality they only had spots removed that were not cancer and even though they said they were informed there was no cancer they still insisted they had many skin cancers removed!!!  There are so many derms that admit that there is a hysteria about all this and yes if you work in the sun all day or spend lots of time surfing or at the pool, etc  during the hours of 10:00 and 2:00 when the sun is strongest then you should protect your  skin but not necessary for just walking to your car or day to day mostly indoor activities etc.  and before 10:  a.m. and after 2: p.m.  We all should spend at least 20 minutes to an hour in the sun free of sun products for adequate vitamin D absorption that you cannot get with a pill. Also tanning beds are a danger if used on a regular basis but not for just one or two special occasions.  Everyone should stay out of others' affairs and just do what they think is best for them.  I know my particular health issues are so improved by sun therapy! 

Honored Contributor

I haven't self-tanned in several years.  Just not worth the effort - so I've "embraced my pale skin."  

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus, I see it mostly on my towels coming out of the shower after I’m supposedly clean. I have colored/patterned sheets so wouldn’t necessarily see any shedding, sorry!  I had the JM tinted body butter and it came off on everything.  I have a chair whose upholstery is permanently stained because of it.  Based on my experience, I just don’t find her credible.

Respected Contributor

I had actually bought a small bottle of Nature's Gate self tanner to use this year but I haven't. I never used to self tan but I'm getting more and more spider veins on my legs that I'd love to camoflague a little bit. I used it last year and really liked it. The only reason I didn't use it this year is because I had a lot of skin irritation at the beginning of the summer and wasn't using anything on my body except unscented lotion. The irritation/rash is pretty much gone now, but I'll just probably save it for next year now.