Valued Contributor

Re: Weight loss when you are a bit older

Long story short... partial hysterectomy 3 years ago, quit smoking 2 years ago.  I gained about 20 lbs.  January of 2017, I started exercising and lost 30 lbs.  I’ve kept it off but my point is that I have to step on that darn scale every morning because it holds me accountable.  It’s what works for me.

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Valued Contributor

A few years back, I went to Weight Watchers to lose weight.  Several months later, I had lost over 30 pounds and felt great. I never went off the diet and exercise that WWs recommended.  A couple of years later, back the weight came slowly.  I went three times to WWs and they suggested things and I followed their directions to-the-letter, yet the weight never came off again.

Remember I never went off the diet and counted every single thing I ate, including tastes and nibbles. I mean everything was weighed and measured.  Everything.

I finally found the South Beach diet after nothing worked.  The SBD worked fine and the exercise routine was just 15 minutes a day.  I had worked out for over an hour, three times a week, for over a year with a trainer to no avail.  I quit the trainer and went with the SBD and lost down to my "new" goal weight, which was 8 pounds heavier than WWs, but my doctor said it was age appropriate.

Supposedly, some people who did WWs have gained it back a few years later, no matter how closely they continue to follow the diet.  So far, nobody knows why. It could be that this also happens with other diet plans.  It's difficult to say because nobody follows dieters beyond a year after their weight loss.

Honored Contributor

@customerqvc2

If you go back to the way you ate before of course you will gain wait, you have to take what you learned and put it into practice in the real world.

The current WW plan is a very livable one

@customerqvc2 wrote:

A few years back, I went to Weight Watchers to lose weight.  Several months later, I had lost over 30 pounds and felt great. I never went off the diet and exercise that WWs recommended.  A couple of years later, back the weight came slowly.  I went three times to WWs and they suggested things and I followed their directions to-the-letter, yet the weight never came off again.

Remember I never went off the diet and counted every single thing I ate, including tastes and nibbles. I mean everything was weighed and measured.  Everything.

I finally found the South Beach diet after nothing worked.  The SBD worked fine and the exercise routine was just 15 minutes a day.  I had worked out for over an hour, three times a week, for over a year with a trainer to no avail.  I quit the trainer and went with the SBD and lost down to my "new" goal weight, which was 8 pounds heavier than WWs, but my doctor said it was age appropriate.

Supposedly, some people who did WWs have gained it back a few years later, no matter how closely they continue to follow the diet.  So far, nobody knows why. It could be that this also happens with other diet plans.  It's difficult to say because nobody follows dieters beyond a year after their weight loss.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Valued Contributor

This is an excellent video.  I had the dex scan and, of course, I was termed osteopenia.  My doctor suggested the normal meds which I refused to take.  Since then, I have seen more and more evidence to suggest I did the right thing.  I was never told that the dex scan uses a 20 year old as the benchmark.  I did, however, tell my doctor that, perhaps, I was never big boned.  Great info for everyone to watch.  Thanks for posting.

Honored Contributor

Trying to lose weight without exercise, after menopause especially, is tough. It’s hard enough to maintain your weight. Because of diabetes on both sides of my family, I stay on a modified Atkins diet...the maintenance phase. I exercise a lot to keep my muscle mass because muscles burn more calories. I don’t weigh myself. I have a pr. of jeans I use as my “scale”. When they begin feeling tight, I add more protein to my diet and less carbs. 

It’s definitely not easy staying on a diet and with a healthy choice of foods. What helps me is having a “cheat day” usually on the weekend. I may have 1/2 of a dessert or some great bread at a restaurant or a loaded baked potato w/ my steak...not all 3. The next day, it’s back to my usual eating plan. 

I had a gymnastics coach years ago who explained that food was to feed your body, not your emotions. He may have been ahead of his time w/ the idea of mindful eating.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom Yes, I agree. My Mom at 90 (w/ diabetes and difficulty walking even w/ assistance from her walker) believes that being 40 lbs. overweight is a “buffer” from breaking bones if she falls. If bones are thin and weakened, a few layers of fat will not protect her from breaking a hip or shoulder. However, losing some weight might help her mobility issue. Before thinking she’s 90, let her be, know that she’s having dessert at every meal, keeps candy and cookies in her apartment for snacks and makes no effort to watch her “sugar intake” or get to senior exercise classes geared to others w/ walkers, crutches, or wheel chairs. She’s been overweight for many years and I just gave up trying to change her eating habits. It’s way too frustrating. 

Respected Contributor

If you keep gaining weight for some reason (and just can't take it off) and have indigestion a lot (and use to eat spicy foods with no problem) get your heart checked! It could save your life. nuff said

Respected Contributor

@Jayhawk Girl wrote:

Long story short... partial hysterectomy 3 years ago, quit smoking 2 years ago.  I gained about 20 lbs.  January of 2017, I started exercising and lost 30 lbs.  I’ve kept it off but my point is that I have to step on that darn scale every morning because it holds me accountable.  It’s what works for me.

I am not talking about the scale AFTER a goal weight is achieved.

I am talking about NOT using it while I am working on losing weight.  Since I can't do too much more to lose weight, the scale may only serve to discourage me.  Weight loss is not linear.  One week you could show a 5 pound weight loss, the next week none.  Even doing the same thing.  I found myself getting too discouraged when the scale didn't show progress.  It could sabotage me to break the diet.

I think if someone is at or near their goal weight, it is probably a good idea to weigh yourself in order to be aware and accountable.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

Leah looks older? Ridiculous!

@ellaphant  I was wondering about that too.  I think she looks great!  She hasn't lost so much weight that she's looking gaunt at all.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I have looked 40 lbs since January and well I look like I am 50 and I turned 63 in Feb

@I am still oxox  congratulations!  I know how difficult it can be!