Trusted Contributor

Websites Suppressing Negative Reviews

A Youtube video got me thinking. The lady in the video commented that she was able to leave a 5 star review for a product on this certain website. She didn't like the other item she purchased and gave it 1 star only to see that the review was never posted. Now I am aware of brands lying and giving 5 stars to their products but not of completely denying negative reviews. This is why I NEVER trust the reviews on brand websites like Clinique, La Mer, Estee Lauder, etc because they are almost always better than reviews posted on third-party websites. Your thougts?

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Respected Contributor

Re: Websites Suppressing Negative Reviews

I totally agree.  I tried to leave a one star review on home depot's website concerning a lawn mower that was a total lemon and the manufacturer would not honor the warranty.

HD refused to post my review and they said it was because the post was negative.

Trusted Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I totally agree.  I tried to leave a one star review on home depot's website concerning a lawn mower that was a total lemon and the manufacturer would not honor the warranty.

HD refused to post my review and they said it was because the post was negative.

I've posted on websites where I posted both positives & negatives of the item (s) that I was reviewing. The good stuff was left in the review, the negatives were removed when the review was posted.

Honored Contributor

As with practically everything on the Internet, if you can't trace the source, what's there isn't worth a whole lot.  That's my cynical take on reviews.  I don't necessarily trust the companies, but I also don't necessarily trust the consumers either.

There are liars on both sides -  and I have no idea how anyone truly knows who is who, what is what.

For the most part, I try to avoid reviews on relatively inexpensive products, and rely on being able to return what's really bad.  For big appliances and automobiles, I research from acquaintances and sources that use professionals who test -  engineers, mechanics ---people who know more than I do about how things work.      

Respected Contributor

Honest reviews are important. If they suppress one star reviews, what I do is make a five star review and put the criticism in it. They often miss that. "Really great" (if you want a lawn ornament and not a functioning lawnmower.)

Trusted Contributor

For anything beauty related, I go to the reviews at makeupalley to get the low-down.

Honored Contributor

@Campion wrote:

Honest reviews are important. If they suppress one star reviews, what I do is make a five star review and put the criticism in it. They often miss that. "Really great" (if you want a lawn ornament and not a functioning lawnmower.)

laughing

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

SuzryQ3, very wise approach.

Honored Contributor

@ripka junkie wrote:

SuzryQ3, very wise approach.

@ripka junkie, I'm afraid that you might be giving me credit for @Campion's approach.

My only contribution is the graphic.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

Sorry the graphic is pretty cool.