Honored Contributor

Re: Wearing Scents and Perfumes That Could Offend?

I love scented products, and love perfumes. however I am very careful at work, and when I am going to be around people in a large crowd(church, plays,etc)..

Some people have a very sensitive reaction to fragrances, and I have learned just because you can't smell it on yourself anymore, it is still there, and others can smell it....My sister is very very sensitive and certain smells trigger Migraines for her, so when I know I am going to be around her, I don't wear perfume...

I never re-apply perfume at work either, I put a light scent on in the morning after my shower and that is it for the day....I work in an open environment, so everyone is very conscious of not overdoing the perfumes, and even what they eat at their desks.....

Same with my home, I love candles and have them lit every evening, however if I know someone is stopping over that is sensitive, I won't light one...I think it is all a matter of being sensitive to others and being courteous and respectful........

Esteemed Contributor

Made a trip to PCH and they put us up at the Taylor House which is like a lodge for their patients who must travel.  No perfume, hairspray or aresols because of cancer patients that stay there.

Honored Contributor

For those who like to wear fragrance but are afraid of offending someone, try perfume oils. They are richer and long-lasting but do not project as much as spray perfumes. No alcohol either.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I love my fragrances. I tend to choose a scent that does not have a stong silage. When I walk into a room, I do not want the scent left in the air behind me, Also, I do not spray & walk thru but just lightly on my pulse points. JMP.

Honored Contributor

I don't have allergies, I just can't stand the smell of certain things.

We visit a relative, very infrequently and the minute you walk up to the closed front door you can smell one of those cheap dollar store Glade type fresheners.  It's overwhelming.

I don't like scented detergent, dryer sheets, trash bags or anything with Febreeze in it.

Honored Contributor

I love fragrances and I have a lot of them.  I love scented shower gels, scented lotions and perfumes.  I always have scent on.  On the weekends I often do just a scented body lotion if I'm only running errands.  For work and anything else, I always have on a spray of some kind.

I have never been anywhere that had a sign that fragrance was prohibited.  And I can count on 1 hand the number of people that I felt overdid a fragrance.  Usually it's men. 

I often have people compliment on my scent and it's not because I wear too much.  If others can't smell it, what is the point?  Usually they say something as I walk by or they hug me.  Last week DH and I met a friend out at a casual dining place.  When I took my coat off, he got a whiff of my perfume and commented about how nice it smelled.  

A few years ago DH told me that I always smelled good.   There is just one scent he doesn't like and I don't wear it because of that.  Even a co-worker has commented about how my office always smells nice because of my fragrances.  I never smell anything on myself but I can sometimes smell it on my clothes.