Honored Contributor

@monicakm    I am a big coffee drinker as well, hot and black, and rarely thirsty....when I am thirsty, I drink.  I just have a hard time forcing myself to drink water.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@monicakm    I am a big coffee drinker as well, hot and black, and rarely thirsty....when I am thirsty, I drink.  I just have a hard time forcing myself to drink water.

If either of you think you need to increase your water intake, create a little system for yourself such as, upon rising and then set a plan for certain times of day (set an alarm on yiur phone until it becomes habit), or maybe use another activity as a trigger, such as when you use the restroom throughout the day.  

Respected Contributor

It absolutely makes a difference @Mom2Dogs.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes 

Respected Contributor

i went to a salon for a facial when i was 24. She said my skin was very dehydrated and that i should drink more water. There was no sales pitch of product. 

my skin looks good. i drink only water. no flavored sodas, iced tea, crystal light.  i do have one cup of coffee in the morning.   i enjoy a glass of wine with a meal.  The rest of the night it's water water water.

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I'm almost 74 and have always been told to stay well hydrated and I drink about 3 16 oz. bottles of water daily. My surgeon, oncologist, PCP and gastro docs have all said this contributes to my well being and overall success in maintaining my health.

I just don't "get" people who don't like to drink water, I guess because from an earlly age I was told how important it was.

To help,you understand why some ppl don't like to drink water... I was raised with well water. It smelled like rotten eggs and was rusty brown when it first came out it the faucet. So no, I never wanted to drink it. When I was grown and lived where there was city water, it also tasted bad to me. Like chlorine and who knows what else. Fast forward to my older age, I discovered the pristine (no) taste of bottled water. Had this been available and affordable in the 1950s and 60s, I probably would have been a water drinker all my life. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs    My skin looked wonderful when I drank a lot of water.  Now I am trying to get into it being home so much.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   I do believe that drinking enough water and other

fluids has an effect on our skin. When I was a teenager, I had dry flaky skin, especially around my nose and eyebrows. It may have been a vitamin deficiency, but I think that a lack of water may have played a part in the condition of my skin.

I went to a very strict private girls' high school and wanting to keep a low profile, I never wanted to ask the nun's permission

to leave class to go to the restroom. As a result, I hardly ever drank water, especially on school days.

Even in my twenties, not being in the habit of drinking water, my skin and scalp were dry.

Twenties and thirties, having a house full of babies, kept me out of the sun most of the time. I believe that benefited my

skin and also having good genes.

When children were older and I started working, I drank more water. Talking to people and answering phones made me thirsty. As a result, my skin and scalp no longer seemed dry.

Over the past 20 years, I have had several attacks of

kidney stones. Both my urologist and nephrologist said that I need at least a half gallon a day of water. Water is with me all the time and I sip all day.

I would say that staying hydrated and staying out of the sun have really made a difference in my complexion, with no

dryness. Also, I have been wearing sunglasses year round since I was twelve and that was when I also started to use moisture

lotion on my face. Sunglasses prevent squinting and lines around eyes. I never smoked either.

People have always complemented my skin.

Thanks H20!

Respected Contributor

It makes a huge difference for me. I have sensitive skin and psoriasis, plus now I live in a dry climate. I abolutely must stay hydrated, my skin looks more saggy and sallow when I've not had enough. My whole internal system clicks better when I am hydrated. Besides that, a few years ago I landed in the ER for dehydration, not good. I am very careful now.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Is pinching the skin on the back of your hand together still a valid test for dehydration?  Mine falls back down to place withoutt lingering in a pinched state lol  I've had cold coffee and two glasses of tea tonight.  I'll probably pull an all nighter again tonight Smiley Sad  I  should drink more water.  Urine is yellow but I take B vitamins.