Honored Contributor

Thanks for the replies...I try to drink water, I get in 2 glasses a day...good size glass, but probably not enough.  

Something to work on.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs - Sometimes if I'm really bored with plain water, I'll drink seltzer water with a wedge of lemon/lime. The bubbles change it up a bit and you might drink a bit more.

Honored Contributor

There are many myths out there about how much water to drink.  Remember, if you drink excessive amounts of water, you will pee a lot and lose electrolytes.  When you lose potassium, it will negatively affect your blood pressure, causing it to become elevated.  My cardiologist says it's not necessary to drink large quantities of water such as 8 glasses daily or half of your body weight in ounces.  Those are myths.  Rely on your body.  It's a magnificent machine and will let you know when you need water.  Drink when you're thirsty.  If you insist are drinking a lot of water, make sure you're replacing your electrolytes.  

Respected Contributor

No I don't think it does. You do need some water I am sure for your body's health.

I know people that drink so much water & I know prople that drink very little water.

I don't see any appreciable difference in their skin or health. 

Take care of yourself. Drink when you are thristy. Eat when you are hungry. 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

I love you 

hearts.jpg

I'm one of those people who rarely feel thirsty and I know I should drink more liquid but not the 8 glasses a day myth.  Time for my daily cold brew intake (the myth of coffee being dehydrating has been debunked as well).

Honored Contributor

No, I don't buy into the more is better philosopy for hydration.  My pee  is clear, so that indicates that I am hydrated.  My health is not compromised.  I just had my physical and the receptionist basically said "see you next year" when I left the doctor's office.  I expect that no matter how much I drink, my skin will still age and become thinner and crepeier as I do so.  I also think our bodies are able to extract water from the foods we eat, although I also don't eat soup very often because it always gives me the we burps.  Now, the other ingredients in sugary or diet drinks might be detrimental to our health, but I don't think they keep or bodies from absorbing water from it.  I also don't like just plain water except when I'm really thirsty, so I always drink some sort of flavored water. 

Valued Contributor

I have very oily skin and I find that if I drink a lot of water that my skin doesn't get as oily.  
I don't drink  8 glasses of water, just enough to feel hydrated.  I try to drink a tall glass of water before bed and that helps as well.

Respected Contributor

I read years ago by a dermatologist, that a good rule of thumb, you are getting enough fluids is if your urine is pale. And that's all you need to be concerned with. All your food has a certain percent of water too. When you continue to drink water, what your body doesn't need simply gets constantly flushed out. 

Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

I read years ago by a dermatologist, that a good rule of thumb, you are getting enough fluids is if your urine is pale. And that's all you need to be concerned with. All your food has a certain percent of water too. When you continue to drink water, what your body doesn't need simply gets constantly flushed out. 

FYI, if you take B vitamins your urine tends to be more yellow in color.  The more often you go to bathroom, the lighter the urine becomes. 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch ...thanks!